Question regarding a '99 SVT Cobra Convertible

All,

I'd like to introduce myself as a long time lurker on the hunt for his first Mustang. I have come upon a well maintained '99 Cobra convertible that has my interest. The car is A) is a two owner, B) has 28k miles, C) in excellent overall condition without even as much as paint chip (very minor wear on the driver seat edge), D) bone stock, E) a green/parchment/saddle combo (green is a slight turn off), and F) has a firm selling price of the car is $17.5k.

I'd appreciate the opportunity to advantage of breadth of knowledge here on RAMFM by posing a few questions to the board. In no particular order they include:

1) Does the price seem in or out of line with what others are seeing? 2) Are there any problem areas I should be aware of and looking for beyond the obvious such as accident history, roof doesn't leak, etc.? 3) Any reliability issues (electrical/mechanical) I should factor into the decision making process?

I want my first purchase to be an intelligent one and result in a positive experience. Heck, I'm already looking forward to performing a few mods and I haven't even bought it yet! Thanks in advance for any insight the collective can provide?I hope to go from lurker wannabe to owner soon.

Regards and thanks again,

Michael

Reply to
Mpanagop

It sounds as though you only want to know if the price is too high. It is

*if* the car is not worth that much TO YOU. I've seen many Mustangs that were in showroom-like immaculate condition and running perfectly, advertised several thousand above bluebook, that sold quickly. It really depends on the car, and whether or not it is a good fit with the new owner.

An example. If I ever decided to sell Charlene, I'd ask for (and get, trust me) $15,000. She's a '98 GT in perfect condition, with the 5400-A suspension kit and professionally-installed frame strengthening components. There are very few like her, well, actually, I know of no one who has one like it. Only

45,000 miles, and the interior still smells new. The entire drivetrain has been well maintained using only Mobil One synthetics. There is a lot to be said about an adult-driven, never-abused V-8 Mustang, and if you find one that you like, you will probably get what you pay for.

The Cobra convertibles are NICE. I like the green/parchment combo, but that's just me. The only drawback I can think of is the IRS (if so equipped - I believe they were in '99.) If you're seriously looking, spend the $100 bucks for a professional mechanic to look it over before writing the check.

-JD

________________________________________________________ | | | 1998 Laser Red GT RAMFM Member Since 1998 | | M-5400-A Suspension http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams || Subframe Connectors & Seat Bracing, Strut Tower Brace || 4-point K-frame Brace, Tremec T-45 & OEM 3.27:1 Gears ||________________________________________________________|

Reply to
JD Adams

The condition sounds okay. Make sure it has been serviced. Who drove it ? responsible people or some p*nk ?

Oh, yeah, might want to see if it has had the 'fix' to produce the advertised nr of horsepower. The 99's had a flaw that cost them about

20 hp I think. Ford fixed it.

Rein

JD,

Actually, based on what I've seen on the Internet (AutoTrader/eBay, etc.) I think the price is very good. I'm more concerned about what I don't know, i.e. experiences of other owners. I thought the IRS was a positive, you're post indicates otherwise...so I'm curious as to why. Those are the tidbits I'm hoping to find out about before I drop the cash.

Thanks,

Michael

PS - The car has been adult owned and driven. I did know about the HP issue and will confirm whether that was taken care of already.

Reply to
Mpanagop
** I thought the IRS was a positive, you're post ** indicates otherwise...so I'm curious as to why. Those are the tidbits I'm ** hoping to find out about before I drop the cash.

My dislike for SVT's IRS (dubbed SLS for short/long control arms) is misoneistic in nature. I simply prefer the way a vintage solid rear axle assembly feels and behaves. Even though it utilizes an uses an aluminum differential housing, IRS is 80 lbs. heavier than solid axle setups. To me, it was a solution in search of a problem.

-JD

________________________________________________________ | | | 1998 Laser Red GT RAMFM Member Since 1998 | | M-5400-A Suspension http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams || Subframe Connectors & Seat Bracing, Strut Tower Brace || 4-point K-frame Brace, Tremec T-45 & OEM 3.27:1 Gears ||________________________________________________________|

Reply to
JD Adams

Might want to do some checking up on the reliability of the early Cobra IRS.

Storytime.....

A few years ago, my brother bought a used '99 Cobra convertible from a dealer. Black w/ black top, very nice car. I looked forward to seeing it some day. My brother's a nuke in the Navy, so he had a few bucks laying around after his 6-month "cruise."

A couple months later, he totaled the car. Doing 80 or so on the highway when he lost control and ended up plowing into the barrier. Daylight, clear blue sky, no obvious road defects or gravel anywhere in sight.

Now, I'm not saying that my brother couldn't have possibly messed up - there is every possibility in the world.

When his court case came up (one car accident but I guess the state pressed charges for the damage to the barriers and guardrails), he presented information about that particular year's IRS having problems and occasionally locking up. He was let off on all charges. I'm not sure where he sourced this information from. They may have been Ford TSBs.

If you've ever had to deal with an accident, you know your car typically gets carried to a holding place, where the insurance company decides what to do with it, or you decide what to do with it if you don't have full coverage.

His car was towed to such a place, and the next day Ford snapped the car up. He didn't even get to look at it.

This wouldn't be enough to make me not buy one... and I haven't really heard any other stories of the like... but it's still a potential hazard, even if the chances are slim of it ever happening to you. Just something to look into.

JS

Reply to
JS
** Might want to do some checking up on the reliability of the early Cobra IRS.

I've heard similar stories, but didn't want to say anything since I have no firsthand knowledge. There WAS a reason why Ford went with reliable, vintage solid-axles in the '05's. They're not going to elaborate of course - we can use our own imagination on that one.

Newer ain't always better. I think the new rear suspension setup will make up for all the shortcommings, in a cheaper, lighter package. And I'm thankful that common sense prevailed.

-JD

________________________________________________________ | | | 1998 Laser Red GT RAMFM Member Since 1998 | | M-5400-A Suspension http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams || Subframe Connectors & Seat Bracing, Strut Tower Brace || 4-point K-frame Brace, Tremec T-45 & OEM 3.27:1 Gears ||________________________________________________________|

Reply to
JD Adams

JS and JD,

Thank you both for providing the additional feedback. I was not aware of any potential failure issues with the IRS. More food for thought...

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
Mpanagop

Dude, if i was you i would just get a 1999+ up GT Vert and use the extra money to power it up... the 99 cobras are really not that much faster than the Gt's of the same year, and you can only notice the slight difference up top.... You can get a 1999 GT Vert for less that $11000-12,000 and use the extra money to mod it ,or even throw in a supercharger which will spank the shiat out of the cobra..

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

Beverly,

The thought has crossed my mind a couple of times. I'll be doing some more virtual comparison shopping before pulling the trigger.

Thanks!

Michael

Reply to
Mpanagop

---- snip ----

---- snip ----

15K? Is this a typo?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tom

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

Reply to
Michael Seeley
** 15K? Is this a typo?

Nope. I was offered $13.5 for it in January by a guy who used to own an '01 Green Bullitt. He sold it when he went into the service, but quickly washed out, and now wanted to buy another GT. He liked the look of the pre-99's, and loved the 5400-A suspension. If he hadn't been under 20, we probably could have discussed it a bit.

Cars are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. I know a lady who paid $40k for a PT Cruiser when they first hit the showroom.

-JD

________________________________________________________ | | | 1998 Laser Red GT RAMFM Member Since 1998 | | M-5400-A Suspension http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams || Subframe Connectors & Seat Bracing, Strut Tower Brace || 4-point K-frame Brace, Tremec T-45 & OEM 3.27:1 Gears ||________________________________________________________|

Reply to
JD Adams

Tom's argument is pretty sound. I have a '97 Cobra, rated at 305hp. Head to head with a '99-up GT, according to Ford's numbers, I'll actually lose the 0-60 very slightly, and win in the quarter by a tenth or two. The '99 Cobra was rated at 320, and I don't think much was done to move the torque band lower (my major problem with 0-60 - the car's a lamb until around 4k) when they increased that horsepower. Couple that with a heavier car (between the convertible and the IRS weighing in extra), and you're actually running close to the same as I. In fact, I whooped on my brother when he bought an '01 Cobra to replace the fallen '99 - I beat him at the strip in both ET and MPH - my hardtop to his convertible. Add, on top of that, if you're a power adder kinda guy, supercharging the '96-01 Cobra engines is dangerous due to cast parts and high compression.

However, if you want the SVT label, the big brakes (though by '99, the GT's brakes were pretty good themselves), and a slightly tuned suspension (I think the '99-01 Cobras got improvements, but the only change in the '97 between Cobra and GT was stiffer swaybars IIRC)... go for the snake. If you're not going to mod it, and want the "ooh ahh" factor... the Cobra is the one to pick. If you're looking for a toy and something to modify, take the GT.

Something about driving an SVT product though... just feels good. :-) Could always just buy the big one - the '03-04 Cobra.

JS

Reply to
JS

uhm, you left out the weight difference between a coupe and convertible.

Rein

JS

Thanks for the additional insight. The dreamer in me says buy less expensive and mod it to where you want it. The pragmatist in me says you bleed during every home improvement project, why spill more needlessly. The fact is I'm buying to drive it, not rally or drag race (not that the temptation won't arise time to time). Therefore I believe I could be happy with either version.

However, as you alluded to the "Cobra" moniker does strike a certain cord in me. That might be because I grew back in the day and next door to a woman who owned a '68 Shelby GT350 convertible. I can still hear the sound of the exhaust note...sigh. I could put new wheels on it (I prefer a chrome finish to the '99 factory ones) and live quite happily with it as is. It's not to say I might not catch the horsepower bug later on, but by then the '06 Cobra might be the cure for that itch. :)

Thanks again?it's all much appreciated!

Regards,

Michael

PS - The '03/'04 Cobras sure are nasty aren't they? ;)

Reply to
Mpanagop

I mentioned it a couple lines up when I was comparing weight difference between the IRS and non-IRS models.

In any event, they're all pretty close to the same... the new GT to the '96-98 Cobra... and even the '99 and '01 Cobras as well...

JS

Reply to
JS

It's all in what you want. If you like it, go for it. There definately is something about the snake on the fender, and while I could trade my '97 in on a new GT and actually do fairly well in the trade, it's still not a snake.

Glad I could be of assistance. Good luck, and let us know what you pick.

Oh, and the '03-04 snake? Rated best bang-for-the-buck in quite a few different surveys that I've seen. Quite a bit of bite out of that little

281...

JS

Reply to
JS

I really dont even understand guys buying the 03 cobra with the eaton(wimpy) supercharger on it as well .... You can get a 99+ cobra in damn good shape for $15000, drop in an ATI-procharger and be near the mid 400 HP range... Its nice to have a warrenty an all, but is it worth $30,000- 35,000 for brand new one when you can spend a bit more than half that and have more balls to boot... I can easily get a 99+ GT to push 390 horsepower for under $16,000.....I agree with JS on this one too... I guess people dig the snake on the side, but id rather have more bang for my buck.......

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

Sure, guess which engine will make it to 100K and which engine won't.

so you are claiming that for 16K you have: a 6 speed, better suspension, better brakes, an intercooled supercharger, a reliable engine that will last a while, better seats, bigger/better tires etc etc etc.. ????, Show me where to get that deal !

in other words, no it's not just the supercharger you're buying...

Rein