OT - '05 Goat Going To 400 HP

Good question, good point. The original Goats, looks wise, were really nothing more than a plain run-of-the-mill sedan. Without the GTO badging they were a blend-in-into-the-crowd car. In this sense, the new GTO is truly true to it roots.

The "Coke-bottle" styling was only '66-'67. In '68 the styling changed again, and stayed the same, for the most part, until '72.

The '67-'68 cars.

'64-'65 & '70-'72 cars.

The '68-'69 cars.

It was a bit odd looking. Although, now, they look interesting.

I always thought that... what was it called, the "Can Am"...? That the Can Am looked much better than the '73 Goat.

Not a bad looking car, just not a performer.

True. They weren't Hemi cars that's for sure. The biggest thing they had going for them was their marketing.

I think folks were hoping for car more distinctive. Give the Holden car a couple aggressive lines, pop on a hood scoop, and everyone would have been cheering. As it is, the only ones cheering will be the ones who get past the Camry looks and take one for a test drive. Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Correction Pat......

GTOs had stacked headlights from 66-67 and side-by-side headlights in 64 and then again from 68-72.

A good friend of mine used to own (11) GTOs (at one time), he had every year except a 64. This was way back in 1983 though. :>) Man! Those where the days!!

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, Unknown Camshaft(??), HyperTech Chip, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.

Reply to
Katmandu

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 04:32:51 GMT, "Katmandu" wrote something wonderfully witty:

While the 455HO's had some horseys under the hood, it was that damn torque that really made them sit & shit. My `71 would actually completely break loose the rear tires while WOT. You had to back-off the throttle to let them hook back up then nail it again. Still had a right nice chirp making the shift to third. Damn I went through some tires back then. Used to run that bad boy at the DelMarVa track every weekend back in the middle 70's. I would use an entire take of Sunoco

260 in 1/4 mile passes.

I have been told I am not allowed to use a broadsword to disprove ?The Pen is Mightier than the sword?.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Been there, done that... except for the cheering part. :P

It's a kinder, gentler Camaro. Better quality interior and ergo than the Camaro... for the less agile, "more mature" driver. I *do* like the interior! It may be well received by the old farts among us, but for the money (just shy of

35k+ADM!)...I expect more.

The looks are certainly going to hurt sales, the GTO has NO showroom appeal. Pontiac was always GMs' "LOOK AT ME" Division, they've done a complete 180 on the GTO. If you don't go looking for it, you'll never even *see* the darn thing.

I'm betting that it'll be pretty darn popular... with LEOs. :( __ John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

I wholeheartedly believe it!!

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, Unknown Camshaft(??), HyperTech Chip, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.

is Mightier than the sword?.

Reply to
Katmandu

"Katmandu" wrote

1971 GTO 455 H.O.:

335 hp @ 4800, 480 lb-ft @ 3600 (gross numbers)

310 hp @ 4400, 410 lb-ft @ 3200 (net numbers)

Weight: 3,619 lbs; lbs/net hp = 11.7

Calculated 1/4 mile: 14.2 @ 96 (rwhp = 80% x fwhp = 248)

2004 GTO 346 LS1 6-spd:

350 hp @ 5200, 365 lb-ft @ 4000 (net numbers)

Weight: 3,725 lbs; lbs/net hp = 10.6

Observed 1/4 mile: 13.62 @ 104.78

(Sources:

)

ALL Pontiacs were "big blocks."

Ah to still have my

YOU'RE living off the memories of "a short period of time" -- what, the first 6 months of 1964? -- and *I'M* the one who needs to get a life? Got it!

There were no tri-power 455's, or even 400's.

One good romp and the damn things would

So what was the BEST thing about the tri-powers? Certainly not performance.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

Wow!

I thought the 455HO had a bit more HP/TQ than those #s..... ??

I maybe thinking about the 71 Buick 455HO. That was rated at 370HP and around the 500 ft/lbs of TQ.

The Cadillac 472 of that era was up over 500ft/lbs of TQ as well.

The new GTO has some "impressive" #s!! Just think what a few mods would do for it!

Now if Ford could get their Feces Consolidated...... :>)

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, Unknown Camshaft(??), HyperTech Chip, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.
Reply to
Katmandu

On 2 Mar 2004 09:49:03 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (180 Out) wrote something wonderfully witty:

The 455HO's weren't the `64s.

Correct. However, there were on the `64's.

I have been told I am not allowed to use a broadsword to disprove ?The Pen is Mightier than the sword?.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Crap, there you go bringing me into things! The 71 Buick 455 Stage 1 (no think as a "Buick 455 HO") was a low compression motor. It had solid torque and hp ratings for 1971, but not what you're mentioning. The 1970 455 Stage 1 is what you may be thinking of. It was "rated" at 360 hp and 510 ft/lbs of torque (@ 2800 rpm). The 370 horse rating was for the big cars (Riv, Electra) that had the same engine (essentially) as the GS455 (non Stage 1). That engine in the GS455 was "rated" at 350 hp in 1970.

There was a Cadillac 500 that was the king of torque. No rpm ability though.

Steve

72 Skylark

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

That's the one I was thinking of!

Is a 68 Riviera with a bad "430" worth anything these days ??

--

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, Unknown Camshaft(??), HyperTech Chip, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.

Reply to
Katmandu

It can be. Most people opt for the 455, but there's nothing wrong with the

430. The pistons may be tougher to get, but I've never checked. It also depends on the condition of the body parts.

You can go over to

and find someone over there who's into the Riv's and ask them. They have a section just for the big cars.

Steve

72 Skylark

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve