OT: 2008 Challenger SRT8 Pricing

Al,

Yes, but on the "redo" and with nearly 30 years of technology I'd hope the new would better the old.

I know the Challenger won't be a flyweight, but a 3,600... maybe 3,700 pound curb would decent.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Or they're hoping the 6.1 liter Challenger's coolness and people spending stupid money to get one will carry over the the lesser models.

I really wished the Challenger and new Camaro would debut at the same time. Then we would have seen some cut-throat pricing in the pony car market.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

But with the pillar-less styling they may have had to beef-up the flooring, roof and windshield frame to keep it stiff.

I say...

The carbon fiber hood is either a sign of their commitment to keep it light and the Challenger will have a respectable curb weight.

Or it was a desperate act when the scale screamed at the Challenger to get off.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Challenger or GT500... Les, you're a lucky man!

My advice: Play both camps hard if they don't want to deal. "You're forcing me to buy the competitor." Or "Shoot, I think I'll wait for the new Camaro to come out... I really like the looks of that car!"

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Good Freaking LUCK with that approach. Even though the market is just now starting to soften a tiny bit on the GT500's, that is not likely to happen.

BTW: I just tonight (Friday evening November 30th) looked at a 2008 Shelby GT500 hard top on a local Ford dealer's showroom floor with it's $47,000ish MSRP plus $25,000 ADM (Additional Dealer Markup) on the window sticker. I laughed out loud and commented, yeah but not for $25,000 over MSRP, when the sales guy walked up and commented about it being a nice car and something about it's power.

I'll make my own new post on this, but My 2008 GT500 is being built this December 10th. I've had money down on my dealers 4th and last Shelby GT500 since the summer of 2006. He got two 2007's and two 2008's.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:e93904e7-ddb7-4c23-9c13-9e37c9826717 @l1g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

Kind of like with the GT500...

I'd wager that soon after the Challenger debuts and Ford takes notice, Chevy will start up the marketing machine for the Camaro.

Reply to
Joe

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:b2a3e7d1-bf08-4642-af41-20c355282e07 @r60g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

Either way, the car has to come in at least a few hundred under two tons. I'd also imagine that the pillar-less styling has to do with a future convertible (not to mention the similarity to the original car).

Reply to
Joe

Having three models vying for a limited market should keep prices in check to some degree.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Just a note:

I've seen pics at the dealership, of the production Challenger....there _is_ a b-pillar. Roll down the rear window, and there it is. Looks great with the windows up, but the look with the windows open is pretty goofy. I loved the pillar-less look of the concept, the addition of the b-pillar is a bit of a turn-off for me. I certainly hope to see this car become available as a convertible, because right now, I'm somewhat dissappointed in the final product.

-- John C. '03 Cobra (improved)

Reply to
John C.

Patrick I definitely will, I know both companies are in bad shape so they will deal or make no sale. Since I have a 2007 Pontiac with 6K miles in it I am in no hurry to buy anything. And I am not afraid to tell them that. I will ask the dealer how much it costs them to make no sale versus making one. I bet they will deal in the final analysis. If not, I drive my Pontiac.

Reply to
Les Benn

You will be driving your Pontiac. All 2008 Shelby GT500 orders will have been filled before this Challenger ever becomes a market competitor. If you think you will be using this Challenger as leverage to get a Shelby GT500 for under MSRP, you are mistaken.

I've been "dealing" in this 2007-2008 Shelby GT500 market since 2005, long before the dealers had ANY information on them from Ford. The LAST 2008 Shelby GT500 orders are being built over the next few months. There will NOT be a 2009 GT500, and with the huge rise in fuel prices looking quite permanent, we are most likely to see another 40 year stint until the next "GT500", and that one won't be internal combustion engine powered...

The last of these 2007-2008 Shelby GT500's won't be leaving the dealers showrooms for under MSRP, period, not "NEW" anyway.

BTW You can get new Shelby GT500's for 2K-5K over MSRP all day long right now. If that couple thousand dollars is enough to keep you from getting one... Wow.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Well here in the desert they are selling off the 2007 inventory and having no luck at over sticker since the 2008 models are available. I even saw one guy trying to see a 2007 with 3000 miles on it for 80K he will definitely have that car forever at that price.

Reply to
Les Benn

The Mustang was in reverse. The base and GT models were a hit and then Ford upped the ante, whereas the Challenger is bringing out "full cool" first and hoping the buzz carries over to the other [lesser] models.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

But you have to at least TRY to make the dealers pause and think that buyers are considering, and sometimes seriously, the competition. Because if you don't, you might as well walk into the showroom droll all over a GT500 and then write a check for whatever amount they quote you. And isn't that how we/enthusiasts got into this pay-way-over- sticker mess?

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

This seems like a dangerous move to me. They show you the Mac Daddy model and then try and sell you the cut rate version. If they price the SRT high and give no one the option to buy a more affordable model right then they may not come back later. Or they mosey on over to the Ford dealer and buy a Mustang GT.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Joe,

I'm afraid by the time the Camaro debuts it'll be a used car. I mean it's been on the show circuit, in magazines and on internet for years now. Whatever happened to trying to surprise the public?

That's what I'm thinking. And $4-$5 a gallon gas would help even more. ;-)

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Trying to get a deal on the Challenger SRT is going to be hard, IMO. First, the dealers probably already have an idea of the demand from previous inquiries. Second, they are only getting a few cars per dealership and cutting deals on a car that won't be on the lot for a few months isn't in their best interest from a point of maximizing profits. My guess is they already know the few cars they get are going to sell for well over MSRP.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

If SUVs are still selling like gas was free then the Challenger shouldn't have a problem. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Try? I think we have to be realistic about this.

I think everyone who walks through the door ought to give them a hard time about their GT500 Pricing. I always engage them about their inappropriate approach of screwing their good Ford customers over for a few bucks now. I tell them that I buy many new cars and that I will NEVER buy a car from a dealership that would screw their customers like this (charging huge premiums over MSRP for the GT500). I spend 30 minutes to an hour thrashing on any sales guy and or his general manager that want some of it, about this every time I am in a Ford dealership showroom. What I don't do is go in there with a totally UNREALISTIC idea that I may actually get one of their GT500's for a lower price because of it.

For the reasons I've already listed, anything under ~$5,000 over MSRP is a bargain for a new GT500. Dealers are still today getting $70,000-$85,000 for these $40,000 cars. I have friends in three different high markup dealerships that know what each one sells for, my information is not speculation. Anyone thinking they will be getting a new one for under MSRP is mistaken.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

The real thing??

Big Al