OT: Challenger

Two-door Dodge Challenger to return? The resurrected Challenger muscle car will come back in 2009 industry paper says.

June 13, 2005; Posted: 12:29 p.m. EDT (1629 GMT)

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - It's starting to look like the muscle car wars of the late 1960s are coming back for real. Following this year's introduction of the Dodge Charger, the next muscle car name to be resurrected will be the Dodge Challenger, according to a report in the industry weekly Automotive News.

The Challenger will be based on the same platform as the Charger, which shares its mechanical underpinnings with the Chrysler 300 and the Dodge Magnum wagon, according to the report. The newspaper cites industry sources including outside analysts familiar with the development program.

No-one with Chrysler Group, the division of DaimlerChrysler responsible for Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicles. would talk about the program, Automotive News said.

Unlike the Charger, the Challenger will be a two-door car, according to the report. That would put it in direct competition with the recently redesigned Ford Mustang and the Pontiac GTO. The current Charger has four doors.

Like the Charger, 300 and Magnum, the Challenger will be available with an optional V8 "Hemi" engine, Automotive News said.

When it was originally introduced for the 1970 model year, the Challenger was a small "Pony Car" competitor to the Ford Mustang and Chevrolet Camaro.

The car is scheduled to be introduced in 2009, Automotive News said. The report said the company expects to sell 60,000 to 70,000 Challengers a year.

Reply to
D.K.R.

I can NOT wait to see a new Challenger! Now if we can just get new 'Cuda, Camaro, Firebird, AMX, and Cougar we'll be back in business!

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Sounds like a good business to me. BTW, here's the link:

Joe

If it's going to look like the Charger, I can wait. The original 'Cuda and Challengers from 1970-1974 were some of the handsomest cars ever built. I can't bring myself to say that about Chrysler's current offerings. A run of the mill 340 1970-71 'Cuda or Challenger will now set you back $30,000 while there has been rumours of $5 million being turned down for a 1971 one of a kind Hemi Challenger. Specialty models like the Challenger TA and AAR 'Cuda will bring about $60,000-$100,000 while Hemi "clones" have fetched over $200,000. Right now, aside from the ubiquitous Shelby Mustangs and some Vettes, E-bodied Chryslers are the most collectable muscle cars.

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

But why are they waiting until 2009? Who knows what conditions will exist then in the automotive industry.

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 07:39:41 -0400, RichA wrote something wonderfully witty:

If the current crop of 'Cuda and Challengers on e-bay are any example of current asking prices, the market on these cars has turned insane. The asking prices are higher then just about any other car of that particular era, even cloned ones are going for a major premium.

If I got to pick an `70's era muscle car as an investment it sure as hell would be an AAR Cuda. Hot damn are they through the roof. Plain old Challengers aren't doing to bad either. Even the plain Jane

318's.
Reply to
ZombyWoof