Charger is a hearse

One parked next to my Mach-1 tonight. It's at least (the door sills) about 6 inches higher than my car. Muscle car? Not really. Especially since the latest comparison I saw of it was against a Cadillac. They know the audience buying this vehicle has NOTHING in common with people who bought the Charger in the 1960s and early

1970s.

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

It's certainly a bit portly, but the SRT-8 version sports 425hp and 420 ft/lbs of torque. With the extra set of doors, I don't think they're after the "pony car" segment. If I was in the market for an American "sport sedan", I'd have to consider the Charger as one of the best bangs for the buck. 0-60 is just a tad over 5 secs. That's faster than a Mustang GT. Yow!

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

I agree. If DC would give that car two doors and a six speed manual I would give it a serious look if I were in the market for a pony/muscle car. As far as it going up against the GT500... forget about it.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The Charger is more along the lines of a 4-door GTO than a Mustang GT.

Nothing under $45k will go up against the GT500.

Reply to
Joe

Now all you have to do is be one of the "lucky" folks to bribe your local Ford dealer and pick up a GT500 or wait for the inevitible crush of low/no mileage cars being hawked for $10-15k over MSRP on Ebay.

Being fast is nice....if you can actually find one to buy.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

And I think if Ford brought back the Falcon and added it as a "4 door Mustang" they would sell at least as many as Dodge does the 4 door Charger.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Well, I read again that Chrysler is bringing out a two-door Challenger to compete against the Mustang, but if it's a clone of the Charger, it's not the kind of car a Mustang buyer will buy instead. The Charger needs to be sleeker and on a diet to compete.

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be.... Children are obscene but should not be heard Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!

Reply to
Spike

Rich wrote in news:iekgj11a85p3kmm3r83qpq83tfjnhqabh1@

4ax.com:

Comparing the Charger to the Mustang is ludicrous. The Charger, Magnum, and 300 all share the same platform, which is a lot bigger than the Mustang's.

So where'd you see the Challenger thing? I've heard that rumor but I haven't seen anything that would indicate that it's anything but.

Reply to
Joe

Could very well be rumour, especially three years out. I've seen it repeated at least five times in different sources, all seemingly fed the story by Chrysler. Testing the waters??? Tell them what; Bring back the 1971 Challenger/'Cuda in near identical form (or something along the lines of the new Mustang in terms of cleaving to the 1970s design) and I'll buy one. If it looks like the Charger (a melted 300 with a truck grill on the front) I'M NOT INTERESTED!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

There was a picture in either motortrend, or automotive magazine. I think it said 2007.

Reply to
croaker68

Rich wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Did a search; this was the most informative thing I found:

Looks like the Challenger will share the same platform as the 300, the Magnum, and the Charger. It'll also be an '09, and it will be a

2-door.
Reply to
Joe