OT: Drunk totals our car!! Need advice please!!

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 09:58:07 -0700, "C. Olofsson" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Yup, quite.

Actually my intelligence level isn't in debate. I read your post and responded. It is not a normal practice to read every reply prior to posting a reply. Bet you never thought of that did you?

Not only easy to say, easy to do. Very easy. People do it day in & day out every day of the week.

The advice on your property is to let the insurance companies handle it as is normal procedure. I got the distinct impression during your first post, and several follow-up posts on this subject that you have the common present day mentality towards these things nowadays. What is that mentality? The I have suffered a wrong and am do a Life Bingo because of it. Not only to I need to come out whole, I need to come out better then I went in. The reason I say this is your mentioning of this persons new vehicles, owning a business and so forth.

Overall you had some minor damage to a 9 yo car. BFD. What do you want out of the deal? A brand new Cobra? Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Hey... get off her ass. C'mon... go pick on a little kid, taunt an old person or kick your cat, but just lay off Cindy. She's got enough problems with this jerk hitting her car and the police not helping her, she doesn't need or deserve your current batch of meanness.

Had you read her original post completely, most of what you posted would have been unnecessary.

Kate

> [...]

| >What value will you assign to a human life? | >

| >Ohspareme! Please don't preach to me about human life | >>

| >> Between your insurance & this guys insurance you will get taken care | >> of. Stop worrying about losing a nickel | >

| >Again, easy for you to say. | >

| Not only easy to say, easy to do. Very easy. People do it day in & | day out every day of the week. | | > and stand-up, be a man, do | >> the right thing. | >

| >Try reading (and comprehending) before throwing your unfounded accusations | >around! | >

| > Don't let this issue get swept under the rug. It is | >> people who do what you are thinking of that keep these dumb-asses on | >> the road until they kill somebody. | >

| >What am I thinking of? What haven't I done? We tried to tell the cops what | >we knew. They didn't respond! Instead they come here four hours LATE and | >[pardon the pun] cop an attitude with us when we asked what happened with | >the motorcycle accident! | >>

| >> Sorry for being so blunt and feel free to blast away at me. Just my | >> opinion on the topic. I would have kicked the bums ass and then told | >> the cops he got the bruises in the accident. | >

| >You have to understand we were in shock after this happened. Still half | >asleep. We couldn't run after this guy, we weren't even sure it was him! It | >was dark! Obviously his rapid departure was proof, but...you just don't | >think about this stuff 'til after it happens, at least we didn't. I called | >him a coward when he ran, but to be honest, I didn't know that for sure. If | >he'd been innocent, or the wrong person, I know what I would have done. He | >only ran faster. | >

| >If I'd wanted a "respect for human life" lecture I would have called MADD | >and told them this story. I posted this for "what if" advice on our | >property. I'm tired of wannabe newsgroup martyrs who think they're better | >than everybody else based on their interpretation of someone's personal | >experience. | >

| >Cindy | >'96 laser red auto GTS | >

| The advice on your property is to let the insurance companies handle | it as is normal procedure. I got the distinct impression during your | first post, and several follow-up posts on this subject that you have | the common present day mentality towards these things nowadays. What | is that mentality? The I have suffered a wrong and am do a Life Bingo | because of it. Not only to I need to come out whole, I need to come | out better then I went in. The reason I say this is your mentioning | of this persons new vehicles, owning a business and so forth. | | Overall you had some minor damage to a 9 yo car. BFD. What do you | want out of the deal? A brand new Cobra? Wouldn't surprise me in the | least. | |

SVTKate

I agree with you Kate, it seems that some people on this NG are trying to blame the victim. Yes, getting the drunk off the road is priority one, and Cindy has done what she can; she can't arrest the guy, it's against the law for her to go to his house and shoot him, so relying on the police is all she can do. She has filed a report, now it's up to the law enforcement officials to take care of the situation. Now Cindy has the matter of a damaged car - I don't know about some of these people on the NG, but I don't have $9,000 laying around to buy another car. That's a lot of Big Macs to the burger flippers out there, and she has every right to know where the money to buy another car is coming from.

Reply to
Ralph Snart

I think there might be a few that understand. FWIW, a few things I learned a while ago:

a) Life isn't fair.

b) Some people _really_ suck; others are just wonderful.

c) It's best to ignore the morons, do what you can to get some kind of satisfaction and peace of mind, then move on.

d) The passage of time puts all things in a better perspective.

e) Life's too short to dwell on bullshit.

"C. Olofsson" wrote in news:W6VSa.13135$Bp2.12887@fed1read07:

Reply to
Joe

| > Had you read her original post completely, most of what you posted would | > have been unnecessary. | >

| > Kate | >

| > | Yup, quite. | > | | > | > Call the police to get this asshole off the road. | > | >

| > | Actually my intelligence level isn't in debate. I read your post and | > | responded. It is not a normal practice to read every reply prior to | > | posting a reply. Bet you never thought of that did you? | > | | > | > What if this guy had plowed into | > | >> your son? Or one of your neighbors kids? You going to cut a deal | > | >> with him then? | > | >

| > | Not only easy to say, easy to do. Very easy. People do it day in & | > | day out every day of the week. | > | | > | > and stand-up, be a man, do | > | >> the right thing. | > | >

| > | The advice on your property is to let the insurance companies handle | > | it as is normal procedure. I got the distinct impression during your | > | first post, and several follow-up posts on this subject that you have | > | the common present day mentality towards these things nowadays. What | > | is that mentality? The I have suffered a wrong and am do a Life Bingo | > | because of it. Not only to I need to come out whole, I need to come | > | out better then I went in. The reason I say this is your mentioning | > | of this persons new vehicles, owning a business and so forth. | > | | > | Overall you had some minor damage to a 9 yo car. BFD. What do you | > | want out of the deal? A brand new Cobra? Wouldn't surprise me in the | > | least. | > | | > | | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Thanks, Joe, but I actually meant to write "...until it happens to them." at the end of that sentence. :-)

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

Reply to
C. Olofsson

Ah, yes. :)

Anyway. I hope this guy gets what he deserves.

"C. Olofsson" wrote in news:F53Ta.2543$Ye.1033@fed1read02:

Reply to
Joe

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:10:22 GMT, "SVTKate" wrote something wonderfully witty:

More then willing to get off her ass. I know a fine whine when I smell it. Person asked for advice about her car, I gave it and freely admitted that she would not like it. I wasn't overly surprised at her come-back. The chronic poor pitiful me follow-up posts were a bit much though.

Again, I do not think she would have been done dirt by letting the insurance company handle it. While I do not normally use KBB values as indicators of a cars worth, it isn't that far off from what insurance adjusters do use. NADA regional guides. Many people attach some emotional worth to their vehicles that doesn't exist in reality.

So I didn't take her hand and pat it while cooing knowingly. Didn't know that's what she was looking for. My mea culpa. Shit happens in life. She just got her turn in the loop.

BTW -- Her first post didn't contain all the information that she ended up relaying in follow-up messages. Just a minor point next time you want to play netkop and determine what posts are and are not necessary. If you really want to look at what was unnecessary it was her entire post. It was off-topic to begin with.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Hey Cindy.... Try calling the department of immigration! Seriously!! They may be able to keep him from leaving the country if he's committed a hit and run.OR if the bastard is an illegal, they may deport his ass.

Kate

"C. Olofsson" wrote in message news:R6GSa.13041$Bp2.2866@fed1read07... | I don't know why this post was sent, I wasn't even finished. | | > > > We even said a suspected | > > >drunk driver was involved! | > >

> [...]

| > > Exactly what did you want him to do? Walk up to the door, bang on it | > > and ask if anyone inside was involved in a hit and run the night | > > before? | | YES, that's what we expected of him. Isn't that HIS JOB? There was a | car...in front of his house. The officer didn't even TRY. Yesterday they | finally summoned up the courage or brains to knock, but of course, the | suspect wasn't home. | > >

| > > If the *suspect* stpped by to *own up to his crime* then what made you | > > think that he was on his way to Mexico? And why did you tell that to | > > the police? | | We went to his restaurant five miles away, and the waitress told us he said | he was leaving for Mexico for two weeks, that's why. Why wouldn't I tell | that to the police?! | > >

| > > Did you tell the officer that one of the neighbors came by and told | > > you that he did it? | | Stupid question. | | > > What makes you think an accident with injuries should take precedence | > > of a hit and run with only property damage? | | It shouldn't and I don't think that. | > >

| > > Why would it be *interesting*? Because your car got banged up and you | > > dont understand why the police didn't drop what they were doing to | > > come running to take a written report and pictures of your car? | | You just don't get it, do you? This guy was drunk! Aren't the police | supposed to give a shit about that? He drove away from here after the | accident, according to our neighbor, very wrecklessly and returned 20 mins | later...long enough for the cops to respond, see him return and arrest him! | He crashed into our car with such force that it bent the axle and frame! Ah, | but you're right, they shouldn't give a rat's ass about getting somebody | like that off the street. | | > > I can understand your frustration in not having the police do what you | > > think they should have done, but as a motorcycle rider, I would be | > > more interested in knowing how the MVA victim is doing and whether or | > > not they will recover from any injuries they might have sustained in | > > the wreck.. | | Don't ride a motorcylce if it's that dangerous then. I hope the victim is | okay, too, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over worrying about replacing | my totalled car either! | | your car can be fixed or replaced, no matter what type of | > > misplaced outrage you might feel.. the motorcyclist could have life | > > long problems as a result of their accident and your being upset | > > because the police refused to leave that scene | | How many police officers does it take to screw in a light bulb, for christs | sake? Rio Dell (motorcyle accident site) has its own sheriff. SHOULDN'T | there be enough officers to go around? Why should our town go without a | patrolman for four hours? This wasn't really even on a weekend. It was

12:50 | am Friday. And we weren't the only ones that didn't understand why the cops | didn't feel a duty to respond to a suspected DUI case! | | for a dent in your car | > > is more *outrageous* | | What a false sense of pride you possess, Jake. You really think you value | human life more than I do just because I try to get in return what's | rightfully mine? Think again, pal. | | Cindy | '96 laser red auto GTS | | | | |
Reply to
SVTKate

Last time I dealt with one, it was 75%

Kate

> [...]

| > > and says he'll be | > >back. We go around the corner to watch, he slows down in front of | suspects | > >house, and DRIVES AWAY!! The cop didn't even drag his fat ass out of his | > >truck! | >

| > Exactly what did you want him to do? Walk up to the door, bang on it | > and ask if anyone inside was involved in a hit and run the night | > before? | >

| > >That's when Rudy (suspect) come to own up to his crime about fifteen | > >mins later. CHP comes by about ten more mins later and asks if we saw the | > >suspect yet! LOL! I mean...good grief! We tell him we think the guy or | > >somebody is home (which we didn't think at all we thought he was on his | way | > >to Mexico) and he doesn't even KNOCK on his door! | >

| > If the *suspect* stpped by to *own up to his crime* then what made you | > think that he was on his way to Mexico? And why did you tell that to | > the police? | >

| > Did you tell the officer that one of the neighbors came by and told | > you that he did it? | >

| > >I can take the crime, but I can't understand how a town of 15,000 could | be | > >unpoliced for four hours?? Why is OUR sheriff in Rio Dell (accident | site)? | >

| > Maybe because they needed help directing traffic? Or maybe they needed | > help blocking off an area for Life Flight (medical helicopter) to | > transport the accident victim to the hospital? Maybe the motorcyclist | > was in 5 pieces on the roadway and they had to block the area off and | > do clean up of body parts? | >

| > What makes you think an accident with injuries should take precedence | > of a hit and run with only property damage? | >

| > >We called a local, independent paper and while they said the story was | "very | > >interesting" they said they couldn't print it 'cause "they [cops] could | > >screw us..." | >

| > Why would it be *interesting*? Because your car got banged up and you | > dont understand why the police didn't drop what they were doing to | > come running to take a written report and pictures of your car? | >

| > >Another reporter came by before this conversation and talked to my | step-son | > >and took pictures of the car and him, and told him this might be in the | > >papers. We'll see. | > >

| > >Cindy | > >'96 laser red auto GTS | >

| > I can understand your frustration in not having the police do what you | > think they should have done, but as a motorcycle rider, I would be | > more interested in knowing how the MVA victim is doing and whether or | > not they will recover from any injuries they might have sustained in | > the wreck.. your car can be fixed or replaced, no matter what type of | > misplaced outrage you might feel.. the motorcyclist could have life | > long problems as a result of their accident and your being upset | > because the police refused to leave that scene for a dent in your car | > is more *outrageous* | >

| > Jake | |

Reply to
SVTKate

Hence the "OT" in the subject header. *rolling eyes*

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

Reply to
C. Olofsson

I would call it jumping to conclusions, actually. What is it in your nature that prompts you to immediately question somebody's motives? Uh, not that my motives are any of your concern, btw.

It is not a normal practice to read every reply prior to

I don't really care what you think I thought. You jumped to a conclusion and have to maintain your stance as a horses ass. That's okay with me. *big thumbs up*

It just makes me sick that he has been in trouble for drinking and driving (yes, we discovered this today) in the past, drives around in a brand new vehicle, when he shouldn't even have a license at all, and has ZERO respect for, not only himself, but the innocent people that could possibly become his next vicitims.

Minor? I would hardly call a bent axle, frame and crushed door and rear quarter panel "minor". But whatever, you're always right, aren't you?

BFD. What do you

Damn, you got me! *back to the drawing board*

Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS

Reply to
C. Olofsson

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 01:00:33 -0700, "C. Olofsson" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Guess the truth just hit to close to home. Sorry bout that.

Reply to
ZombyWoof