OT: Hey dwight

How bout dem birds!

Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog

"Deputy Dog" wrote in news:_sXId.11603 $av2.11252@trndny02:

Well, it looks like it isn't going to be an all-PA bowl...

Joe

Joe opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

I picked the Iggles.. that was easy.

But you gotta admit.. the frickin' Pats are just the "Money Team"!!!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

WOOHOOO!!! Steelers LOST! GO PATS!!

THE BUS STOPS HERE!

Joe wrote:

Reply to
Hucklebuck

Super Bowl opening line: Patriots by 6 1/2. That's too low.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
one80out

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1106593239.928266.154130 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

How about two touchdowns?

Joe

On any given day in the NFL..................... The Eagles may not be the so called best team in the NFL but if taken too lightly they just may burn ya. On paper the stats are about even. Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog

The Eagles aren't shabby at all, but the Pats are supposedly the better of the two teams in the real world (I wonder where dwight is?). I guess we'll find out soon enough.

"Deputy Dog" wrote in news:LthJd.20278$rs2.14230@trndny07:

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
Wound Up

Yeah, we came out and fell flat on our faces. Ben didn't seem to have the confidence needed to get past the Patriots... and their defense just seemed to be everywhere.

Watching the game, our offensive play calling was just too predictable. Ben needed to throw a few more times to spread out the defense... we focused too much on the run and so did they. When we threw the ball (and didn't get picked off) we did well.

Ah well. The Pats are a great, well balanced team.

As for the big game, I'm hoping the Eagles can take it all... it's been a while.

JS

Reply to
JS

I'm sorry. I've been crying my eyes out for the last 24 hours. Can barely see the screen...

ABOUT STINKIN' TIME! Jeezus!

For you youngsters out there - the last championship won by the Eagles was in 1960 (I was five years old). That was before the AFL merged with the NFL to create the league you see today, and certainly before a Super Bowl was even thought of.

The Eagles' only appearance in the Super Bowl was after the 1980 season (I was 26), and they LOST. Even so, no member of that Eagles team ever had to buy his own drink in this city again. Even having lost to the Raiders, they are still gods to us.

There is no way that I can explain what this means to Eagles fans, unless you've lived with something similar (say, Red Sox fans). Philadelphia is (was?) the 4th largest market in the country, and we haven't won anything since the Sixers won in 1983. Between the four major sports, our teams haven't won anything. But the Eagles have been especially loved in this town.

I've lived through the forgettable Marion Campbell years, the Buddy Ryan close-but-no-sniff-of-a-cigar years, the great Randall Cunningham (exciting, but never a winner), the not-brief-enough tenure of Rich Kotite, the promise of Ray Rhodes, and the hiring of a completely unknown Andy (who?) Reid. My son is now 24 years old, born 11 months before the Eagles' one Super Bowl appearance. He has never seen them win anything.

My daughter (the "princess" of the Princessmobile) has been cursed. SHE is the one who has become a huge Eagles fan, and SHE is the one who knows the Philly mantra, "Maybe next year..." Now, in her 22nd year, she will experience what I experienced so many, many years ago.

The Eagles are going to the Super Bowl!

Mustang content ---> You probably all heard about a little snow we got here in Philly. My Mustangs are still covered, and I got to play with my wife's Escape the past couple of days. Y'know what? 4-wheel drive and ABS ain't all that bad...

dwight

Reply to
dwight

dwight,

I've spent my life in the Seattle area. We had the Sonics win it in 78-79, when I was nine years old. Unless you count last year's WNBA team, there have been no other championships of note. The Mariners have never made it to the World Series. The Seahawks have never made it to the Super Bowl. The closest we've been since 78-9 was the Sonics losing to the Bulls in

95-6. In my life there has only been the Sonics, and I don't really remember it that well. At least Buffalo fans have been to the Super Bowl to lose it several times.

I feel ya...

Steve

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

Back at ya. I used to follow the Seahawks when they were AFC, but since they've changed conferences, they're just another "enemy".

For all the football fans who made fun of the Bills for losing four straight Super Bowls, there are millions more who would trade even up with that record.

Michael Vick now understands just how hard it is to get to the Super Bowl, and he admitted that getting back to just the NFC Championship game would take some doing... that even making the playoffs is not guaranteed.

But since picking up Donovan McNabb in '99, this run has come out of nowhere. Totally unexpected here at the time, and in hindsight has been miraculous coming together. Each year, a new piece or two added to the mix. Each year, fans questioning the coach, the organization, the personnel moves, yet each year they've gotten better. It's been a great ride.

Seattle can have their day - but not today. I think we're due for something good.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I think TO was a huge piece of the puzzle, but the Eagles obviously have proven that he isn't THE team. I also read that his doctor isn't clearing him for the Super Bowl. I have no strong feelings either way on this one, I just hope to see a good game. There is part of me that wants to see them win it without any playoff contribution by TO. I'm not a big fan of anything he does outside of catch the football. What is it with head-case being synonymous with wide receiver???

We've got Koren "bong hit" Robinson over here (assuming that he's only a pot-head, head case and nothing beyond that). His first game back from a 4 day substance "vacation" and he misses the first practice, the day before the game (also the day after New Year's eve). He didn't even call or anything... just showed up at the game like it was another game. Of course he sat the entire game.

Good luck to the Eagles, since I don't see the 'hawks being there any time soon.

Steve

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

I was glad to see the team make it without TO. If he had played and they won, it would all have been about TO, ignoring the other 10 guys on offense. Hell, the offensive line is much more important! He's a solid receiver, and his schtick doesn't bother me (I could live without it, but by all accounts, he's actually a good guy).

I did want to see him in the Bowl, though. There are a few "great" receivers who don't play all that well when it really counts (Keyshawn). TO's in Philly because he wanted to win a Super Bowl and thought this was his best chance. It'd be a damn shame if he helped get us there and then had to sit out.

These guys hit the lottery, and then try their damnedest to throw it away. The pot can wait for a few years. Just play your ass off, make your millions, and then retire (Ricky Williams).

And it was only four months ago that some of the national talking-heads had Seattle as the sleeper pick to represent the NFC. They're really not that far away.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I agree, I just get bothered by guys who think they're bigger than the game (any game).

They also have their "posse" providing negative influence. They think they're invincible to any sanctions and don't understand why they can't make their choices and the world can live by them. Maybe they need a few years of minimum wage to set them straight.

They weren't really a sleeper pick either. This was supposedly the year it all came together. They needed a defense and got Grant Wistrom and (already mentioned by you) Ray Rhodes. That was supposed to fill the needed gap. Instead it went to hell, and Rhodes was nowhere to be found to explain why his defense consistently broke down under late game pressure. I was at both the St Louis and Dallas come-from-behinds. It was just sad. They also had no business winning that final game against Atlanta, which I was also at. Fortunately Vick was rested for 2 1/2 quarters, which made the difference.

Steve

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

My opinion is that all sports not involving a gasoline engine of some sort are a waste of time and bandwidth so I never keep up with or pay attention to the info, however; when I heard that on the radio I laughed and thought about you LOL.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]