OT: rented new Camaro SS for a week

Had new SS for a week in Arizona. Not impressed at all. Supposedly it's 400+ HP but didn't feel any quicker than my 2000 GT. (I wonder if Avis played with the chip). Can't see shit out the back or the front and suspension is not stiff at all. It does look cool, but after having one for a week, I wouldn't consider getting one. What's interesting is that Avis at Phoenix had no Mustangs to rent BUT there were 8 Camaros available (for about the same rate).

-Mark

2K GT black 'vert stock
Reply to
Mark G7#9

I can't really say why exactly but now that I've seen several of the new Camaro's on the street I've been left with the impression that they are made of cheap plastic. They just look like plastic cars and not of particularly high quality. The rear end treatment suffers from one of the same problems as the current mustang, which is that they made the lower part out of black plastic. On anything but a black car it just wrecks the lines in the back. On the Camaro they put the back up lights right in the vertical middle and they just look stupid there, they should have put them flanking the licence plate.

For the interior, which I've seen in the showroom, the dash looks like it's made of cheap plastic with a gee-whiz video game look to the whole thing.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It was on a business trip to Phoenix that I rented a 2005 Mustang V6 convertible for a few days, and had a blast driving around Arizona topless. That was the first Mustang built after 1993 that I had even sat in to that point.

We were just at the local Ford dealer to swap my wife's 2007 Escape for a new 2010 lease, and I sat in a new 2010 convertible on the showroom. I have to say, I didn't care for it. The door sill is too high, and the headrest is too far forward. Other than that, I like everything about the new Mustang.

The Camaro is, to me, a complete turn-off. It just makes me think "Transformers," as if it were built for a 12-year-old. I've seen Chevy's cheap plastic interiors, but would hope that they'd use a finer grade of cheap plastic for the Camaro. And the low profile window glass made me wonder about the driver's sight lines - you confirm my suspicions. (Actually, now I'm looking at Chevy's site, and I see that the Camaro DOES come in a "Transformers Special Edition" package. Too funny.)

I think the new Camaro looks best in its base form, but then I think the Mustang does, too. The "GT appearance package" is not my thing, and the spoiler delete option is preferred. But that's just me.

Around my neck of the woods, a new Camaro is rare, and even the new Challengers are few and far between. I'm afraid I'm living in Prius/Hybrid territory...

dwight

Reply to
dwight

One thing comes to mind... some one probably stuck 87 octane in the tank... the computer then loads the 87 octane table and greatly reduces performance. It seems once those 87 fuel table are loaded they stay loaded even if you switch to premium, until you actually reset the computer... There were a few guys who took delivery of there new SS's and found the performance was no better than the V6... eventually it turned out that the dealership had filled the car with

87 octane! So they switched over to premium fuel, reset the computer and performance was were it should be...

And I would agree... visibility is terrible... but I love the "in a cave" feeling... I love the chopped top kind of feeling with the gun slit windows... so yes, visibility sucks, but you learn to deal with it...

Reply to
John S.

You reckon they'll all dry up and blow away after Halloween?

Frank ess

Bet its the Weight.

Also if it has a electronic throttle, they probably have the initial torque limited so old ladies can drive it.

Reply to
ronchese

Not if you expect to take cash out of ATM or just drive with your arm hanging off the door. Also, I'm 6.2 and when I raised the seat a bit to see better out the front, my head would hit the roof at every bump.

Reply to
Mark G7#9