OT: Thunderbird as a mail-reader?

Figured I'd post in here cause I figure there's quite a few in here that are well-versed in computing. Typically I can solve most questions... but this one's stumped me.

I'm running a WinXP Home system... looking to replace IE/OE with something a little more user-friendly (and less virus-prone, though it's not been a problem thus far), I decided to go with Firefox/Thunderbird. I'm having a bit of a problem getting it to work with my news source though.

I have Verizon DSL here, and they have a free news server. It requires a login/password to get messages, just like the mail server. However, it doesn't look like Thunderbird has that option. I've tried putting my ISP login name in various text boxes, and it prompts me for my password every time I try to get the list of groups, and I know the PW's correct (same as mail, which is coming through just fine), so I'm at a loss. I wandered around some of the Thunderbird help sites and didn't see anything...

If anyone's got a clue.. help's quite appreciated.

Thanks,

JS

Reply to
JS

JS opined in news:T33Sd.75524$QS5.35471@trndny06:

I use Firefox and XNews.

XNEws takes a little getting used to because it doesnt work ANYTHING like OE or Outlook.

And development on it has stopped.

But it has some nice features for handling storage, etc and graphics,

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I too have used OE and Thunderbird and you are right the is no SSL saved password setting in Thunderbird. there is a master saved password setting in Thunderbird. go to tools, options, advanced, saved passwords as according to my sources this part is still under development and may or may not work right, there will be more improvements sometime soon in the next versions of Thunderbird. If You want another Newsreader the works very well for me as I have used it in the past and has a very nice Security setup that is Netscape's Browser and news reader. here's the link.

Defiant

I just downloaded Thunderbird and set up a newsgroup account. This is my first post using Thunderbird. I haven't tried getting out and back in yet. I did have to put my username (full email address) and password in to download groups, subscribe, etc...

Steve

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
AGuyNamedSteve

I use Agent by Forte' and love it. I finally stopped with Free Agent and spent the bucks on the full version. It's a great newsreader.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD, on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it." Rene Descartes

Reply to
John H

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 16:40:19 +0000, JS rearranged some electrons to form:

Xnews if you really want to stick with Windows.

Reply to
David M

Backyard Mechanic wrote in news:Xns960379770D987BkMch6d@207.115.63.158:

The current version was updated by Luu Tran about a month ago, January

30,2005 I think? The previous update was January 14,2005.

Developement has ceased because it's a mature product, it appears that bug fixes will continue as needed.

BTW, "Test" versions are released versions, they are NOT betas.

XS11E

XS11E opined in news:Xns960375B07D5A0xs11eyahoocom@68.6.19.6:

Thanks for the tip... that link I had evidently is forgotten

I'm gonna upgrade soon, then.

dont hear from me again, send st bernards!

;)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Backyard Mechanic wrote in news:Xns9603A07FFC79FBkMch6d@207.115.63.158:

WTH are you talking about? It's a warm 60F and sunny! St. Bernards would have heat stroke....

Reply to
XS11E

Cox does not require a log in, so I havn't tried it in Netscape but try this... Right click on your news group account under the Name heading on the left. Click properties then server settings under the appropriate account and then the check box for always require authentication when acessing this account and ok out. You can also goto

and ask Mona in the Mozilla / Netscape forums and get a lot of really helpful info.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]