OT: You may be a FLoridian if...

You have more than 20 C and D batteries in your kitchen drawer.

The freezer in your garage is full of homemade ice.

You flinch when you are introduced to a person named Charley, Frances, Ivan or Jeanne.

You find yourself dropping words like "millibar" and "convection" into everyday conversation.

Your pantry contains more than 10 cans of Spaghetti Os.

Making coffee on your propane grill does not seem like an odd thing to do.

You are thinking of repainting your house to match the plywood covering your windows.

When describing your house to a prospective buyer, you say it has three bedrooms, two baths and one safe place.

You are on a first-name basis with the cashier at Home Depot.

You are delighted to pay $2 for a gallon of unleaded.

The road leading to your house has been declared a No-Wake Zone.

You decide that your patio furniture looks better on the bottom of the pool.

You have the number for FEMA on your speed dialer.

You own more than three large coolers.

You can wish that other people get hit by a hurricane and not feel the least bit guilty about it.

Three months ago you couldn't hang a shower curtain; today you can assemble a portable generator by candlelight.

You catch a 5-pound catfish. In your driveway.

You can recite from memory whole portions of your homeowner's insurance policy.

At cocktail parties, women are attracted to the guy with the biggest chain saw.

You have had tuna fish more than 5 days in a row.

There is a roll of tar paper in your garage.

You can rattle off the names of three or more meteorologists who work at the Weather Channel.

Someone comes to your door to tell you they found your roof.

Ice is a valid topic of conversation.

Relocating to North Dakota does not seem like such a crazy idea.

Reply to
Paul

Paul wrote in news:Xns9574E8C148C4parrotpapa@65.32.5.122:

Actually, we have a few dozen AA 4-packs. The flashlights all take the square lantern batteries.

Don't have one in the garage, but the one in the kitchen still has a bag..

:)

Nah, more like "cat 3" and "shingles".

And Chunky Beef, New England Clam Chowder, Pork & Beans, and Spam.

That actually works pretty well.

Actually, we repainted the plywood to match the house.

No joke. Hurricane shutters is also a big point.

That's a given even in off-season.

The fact that there _is_ gasoline is good. In the few days prior to a strike, most stations are empty.

We're almost a half-foot above sea level - minimal flooding.

That's exactly what my neighbor said.

Luckily, haven't had to do that yet.

Indeed.

When it comes down to survival, you betcha.

It's amazing what you can learn to do without power.

No catfish yet, but several turtles and plenty of frogs.

How true.

And the biggest generator.

Or soup, spam, or spaghetti-Os.

It's right next to the load of new roof shingles.

Don't know about the Weather Channel, but we're very familiar with the guys at the Miami Hurricane Center (Max Mayfield & Ed Rappaport).

It's happened. Shingles were all over the place.

Or lack thereof.

Been thinking about Arizona...

Joe

Which is about 261.5 ft below the highest point in Florida

Hey, you were always planning to clean out the garage anyway, right?

Where at in FL? I'm a former resident of Ft Walton Beach (Choctawatchee HS Class of 1966). I loved it there. My brother got his photo on the front page of a newspaper, surfing the pressure waves; ) The occasional 'cane was just the price paid for enjoying life the rest of the time.

Hurricanes can be bad, but I'd rather deal with a 'cane than a tornado... or be caught in traffic on a lower deck of the freeway in a major earthquake like here in my home state of CA.

I've lived in quite a few countries and many states. Doesn't matter where you go. There is something. AZ? Good place to have your car sandblasted or carried away in a flash flood.... although in the summer you can bake bread in it (and no humidity).

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
V'ger

FYI: According to the FL State Bureau of Geology, the highest known surveyed elevation in Florida is located in the northeastern part of Walton County. That elevation has been fixed at 345 feet and is just south of the community of Lakewood.

St Lucie County here - landfall location of Hurricane Francis and Jeanne...

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

I was there at Hurlburt from October '84 - June '94 in the USAF then moved to S. FL in Jan '96.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Yep tornados are bad and thats why we don't like hurricances - they spawn several tornados. I think Frances spawned something like 60 tornados. A few hit in my neighborhood.

Reply to
Neoisthe1

Guess the dune got higher after I left there... LOL

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
V'ger

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
V'ger

Hell, we have a whole assortment of every size stuffed in box in a closet.

I bought about 8-10 bags of ice. Stuffed 6-7 in the garage freezer and 3-4 in the kitchen's side-by-side freezer.

And Opal.

And "storm damage".

And canned tuna and salmon.

Just don't forget to have about 3 full LP tanks handy.

And the Plylocks too?

And metal roofs.

And the Lowes' folks.

Gotta make sure the gas can for the lawnmower is kept full too.

Screw that. We're in the "mountains of Florida"... up maybe 100 feet or so.

And a horizontal privacy fence looks pretty good too.

Me neither.

And a couple big water jugs.

I say it's time for others to share in the experience.

It's like camping in your own house.

A pesky Armadillo got in to my backyard when my fence got jacked up. Started digging a new home under my storage barn. Luckily, I got the fence fixed up before he was able to move in.

Not yet.

There's a joke in there somewhere.

We got lucky. The ol' power company hooked us up in less than two days.

And some tubes of roofing tar.

Not yet, but do have their hurricane theme music etched in my brain.

I found mine in the neighbor's front yard a crossed the street, and some were way the hell down the road.

And who has and who doesn't have power yet.

I've been missing NM pretty bad.

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick

V'ger wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Actually, the garage is pretty good. Has to be to fit both the LX and the Shoebox in it. The back porch got the major cleaning and it needed it.

That's insane, surfing on hurricane waves. A guy died doing that here. Went into the surf, never came out, never turned up. At least not yet. BTW we're due west of Ft. Lauderdale near the everglades.

Indeed. With hurricanes you have plenty of warning and preparation time. Tornados and earthquakes - forget it.

If the next few years are anywhere as bad as this year, expect to see Florida's general population rapidly diminish.

Joe

Reply to
Mr. Ford

Reply to
Mr. Ford

If the pop deminishes.. I may invest in property... ; )

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
V'ger

Wanna buy some swamp land cheap? ;)

V'ger wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Joe

Ft. Lauderdale area, but more towards the everglades. About 12 miles or so from the beach. Out here is where people on the barrier island east of the Intracostal evacuate to.

"Mr. Ford" wrote in news:0ky7d.45515$Si.3514 @tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

waves;

matter

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
Mr. Ford

Naples is nice. I guess the whole left coast is more laid back than SoFla. How far is Apopka from Orlando, and which direction is it in? My brother's in Sanford.

Don't know what's up with the $34k - I guess those dealers will take it if somebody's going to pay it.

"Mr. Ford" wrote in news:JDR7d.46440$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

Reply to
Joe

Ouch!!!

Having a primary home in Gainesville (two direct hits, one indirect) and a secondary (vacation home, eye wall hit) in Pensacola, I resemble these remarks!!!!!!!! It has been a crappy year, I have used my generator this year more for domestic uses than for the original purchase use, racing... It has to get better. Your list is funny though.

Dom>You have more than 20 C and D batteries in your kitchen drawer.

Reply to
MJDJ1