Out of step...

Bless me, Mother, for I have sinned. It's been 12 years since I last even SAT in a new Mustang.

Yes, it occurs to me that this is true - I haven't been inside a Mustang newer than 1993.

But I'm still intrigued by the new model. Driving along on a day off from work, I saw a beautiful yellow GT sitting on the corner of a Ford dealer's lot. So I pulled in and got out of my car to have a look-see. I thought, if they had one in the showroom, I'd damn well have a seat and try one on for size.

I checked out the yellow (pretty car, but yellow's not the color for me) and then walked over toward the other Mustangs on the lot. Sure enough, some kid drone comes out of the building and hails me.

His first question was whether I was trading in TFrog. (No.) I told him that I was keeping that one forever, and he said, "Yeah, I understand. I had a

5.0 myself." I asked what year, and he told me it was a '97.

Um, no, the 5.0 was in the '94-'95 models, but '96 was the changeover to the

4.6 modular V8. (He actually tried to argue the point.)

We talked about a Torch Red GT (automatic) sitting there, and I mentioned that I preferred the darker Red Fire. I also had wanted to see the new blue for 2006 ("Oh, the Windveil Blue? We had one, but it was sold right away.") No, the darker blue. ("The Sonic Blue. Yeah, we have one on order.") Um, no, Sonic Blue isn't an option this year... (It's now Vista Blue, and I'm dying to see it.)

Okay, that was enough toying with the drone. The kicker was when he said that he was "just testing you with that 5.0 thing." I mean, I know a bit about Mustangs, but if my job was selling them, I'd know a heck of a lot more.

I brushed him off and headed over to check out the Freestyle (which drone tells me is built on a Volvo platform - true?). Jean's lease on the Escape will be up soon enough, and I'm trying to steer her toward this new model.

Anyway, I left disgusted with salespeople and, of course, never did sit in a new Mustang.

dwight

1993 Time Warp
Reply to
dwight

Cripes, it's been 15 years for me... has it? Yes! What the hell happened? Oh ... right, in late '95, I got cantankerous old beast #1 =)

I can still only say '91.

D'OH idiot alert WHOOP WHOOP WHOOOOOP!!

Did he then viciously stomp on his own foot, and laugh in tears of pain like the idiot he was?

At this point, I would not have been able to stifle mocking him. I would have walked away laughing. If I'd been quick on the trigger that day, I would have said something like "yeah, and setting the points on '95 and up 5.0 Mustangs is a bitch, isn't it?"

I don't know about the Volvo thing, but it's was for the best. Twerp should learn his ABC's before he tries to sell cars.

Try again, Dwight. I have faith you've got to do better than that. His empty-headed suit was not worthy of your enthusiasm.

Reply to
Wound Up

Wound Up wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@your.disposal:

I've sat in new ones, but I've never ridden in (let alone driven) a newer one than my own.

LOL!

Sounds like he needed a swat to the head with one of those rusty camshafts.

Wow. Talking colors instead of performance. How sweet. ;)

How about something simple like "Blow me, moron."?

dwight, do it at the next car show and avoid the droids.

The Freestyle is based on the XC90:

Unless you need a test drive, dealers are morons. The car show is much better for direct comparisons.

Reply to
Joe

I couldn't help myself. I laughed out loud in his face. It's bad enough to lie, bad enough to argue about the lie, but then to backtrack and give me the old "just kidding" line, I couldn't help it. And that laugh told him just how much I thought of his Mustang smarts.

Well, there's no stinkin' way that I'm buying a car from an idiot like that, when I'm ready to buy. I spent 20 years in sales, myself, and my number one rule was always "Know your product." He's not worth the commission or my time.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

You're probably right, Joe. Okay, you're right.

If I don't manage to have a sit-down in a new Mustang by Spring, I'll be at a couple of shows. The Philadelphia Auto Show is February 4 - 12, and I'll see about getting Jean down there to look at the Freestyle and other assorted choices. She loves the Escape, but it's getting more and more trucklike. I think she'll be interested in the new trend toward CUVs...

If we get there early enough, I may get a chance to actually sit in the Mustang.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

"The Freestyle is the most important derivative of the vehicle architecture Ford has borrowed from Volvo, a carlike crossover sport-ute that arrives just in ..."

"For the Freestyle is built on the same platform as the Five Hundred and so could logically be thought of as the Five Hundred wagon, but the two cars use no common sheetmetal. The Freestyle's styling cues are unmistakably Ford SUV, but even a few minutes behind the wheel reveals it to most definitely not be any sort of truck. It fits into that nebulous catch-all category of ``crossover vehicle.'' In the Ford extended family, the vehicle closest to the Freestyle in intent and execution is the Volvo XC70."

Reply to
WindsorFox

I want to do like Stu did, rent one, and put the boots to it.

In his case, a four-sectional rusty cam -staff- fashioned out of 4.6 DOHC cams.

Really. PRETTY COLORS, huh? Moron!

Simple, but elegant. As you know, I tend to be wordy. I do need to work on that.

Yes. And there are usually pretty girls flitting about in cute little outfits near the zoomy cars, which are much better than the "I know the brochure real good" idiots.

Reply to
Wound Up

Good for you! What a maroon, this guy.

You're 100% right. I sincerely hope he at least learned something that day. People who buy these cars... know these cars...

Reply to
Wound Up

The new Mustang completely won me over with the first concept pics and I still feel the same way about it today. As soon as I can afford a new GT...

Reply to
Mark Gonzales

Thanks for that! I think it's a good-looking vehicle, and this makes it sound better for Jean, too.

She still talks fondly of our old '84 Chevy Cavalier station wagon - all glass, no blocked sight lines. The Freestyle looks like a station wagon that sits up high like a sport ute, only better.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Nice to see you've still got that car. You're in danger of becoming a Honda dinosaur!

I'd still like to eventually order in a GT convertible to replace CFrog. Now that I finally have a garage...

dwight

dwight

It's old home week on ramfm.

Joe beat me to it, the car show suggestion. If Philly's is yet to come, you should go. (You might see T.O. moonlighting as a spokesmodel on one of those turntables. Or D. McN? (Didn't one of them retire midseason?)) My wife, one daughter, and I went to the SF version on Thanksgiving night. I really enjoy getting to park my rear in all the high end brands without interruption by perspiring faux friendly sales personnel. (No offense to sales droids; it's a tough racket and somebody's gotta do it.) I cam away almost believing a VW could be worth $80,000, and also that a BMW 7-whatever could not.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Sounds like Brian Hoskins Ford to me :-)

Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog

"dwight" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Has the Escape really changed that much? I thought it was basically the same as before, but what do I know about lil' FWDrivers?

Even if there's a crowd around the Mustang (which there shouldn't be at this point), get in line and sit in one. They're neat.

And while you're at the show, check out the concepts from everybody. I'll be waiting for the FrogReport.

Joe

Wound Up wrote in news:43CC6A03.9020002 @your.disposal:

Good idea. A rental is a pretty good way to check it out. Your time is your own and you don't have the droid bothering you.

changeover

I dunno, a nice big fat one from a 460 might make more of an impact. Literally.

I think both styles have their places.

Great point. If you have to deal with droids, much better to deal with those kind.

Joe

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1137512712.609773.61000 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

There ya go. Wonder who else is lurking around..

spokesmodel

Actually, I've been wondering about that. Why can't cars be sold like clothes or groceries?

Yah, it's amazing what's happened to the auto industry. Cheap-ass Bimmers, Posh (but still cheep) VWs, Ford junk bonds, GM teetering on the brink, etc. What's next?

Joe

Dwight,

Im new here, been looking over your website, and after reading a couple of your "rants" about aggressive drivers, etc. I tend to agree more than I realized with your thoughts... Now, while I'm complimenting you, don't go getting the "big head" After all, you've got that 12 year old 'stang to consider.... I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to sit in a new one but it'll happen... If I lived closer to you, you could sit in mine, but just don't ask to take it for a drive... You know how it is with those special cars. I graduated from high school the same year mustangs came out, and back then, it was all I could do to just dream of owning one. Then, by the time I could afford $1900, along came a wife and kids, there went that, as you say, for the FWD minivan Well, the last kid finished college about 5 years ago, and I've owned a 'stang since

1998. The first one was a 6, I learned the hard way, all the rest have been GT's. Like you, I'll always ( I hope) own one and it's my link to those good old days back when money was the only thing stopping me from my dream... Now, that "ain't no reason not to have fun" so.... I bought the first 05 GT in Alexandria, LA. took possession of it on October 18, 2005 and, yup, It's redfire clearcoat metallic with light gray leather interior... I haven't really pushed it past my limits yet, but it does have a way of getting a little faster than intended at times... Just wanted to let you know I enjoyed your website and that there are other "old farts" out here who feel much the same way as you :)

Have a great one,

John

Reply to
nobody

No, it's still the same Escape (2004 model). Optional 4WD with a flip of a switch, but basically FWD most of the time. But there's no mistaking that it's a truck.

You got it. With pictures

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Jean's pressing me to go to Phoenix with her in April (business trip). She's baiting me, saying we can rent a Mustang there.

Looks like I can book a Mustang convertible, but it's probably a six and definitely an automatic. Still... Looks like I'm goin' to Phoenix.

:()

Reply to
dwight

Yup.