My first Mustang_LX Convertable

I just got a Mustang today. It has the 3.8 with surpentine belts. It is in amazing condition, first time its been started in over two years and after a few minutes smoothed right out except the surpentine started making noise.

Looked further and the smog pump (thermactor) had frozen. Relieved tension and belt quieted down, but smog pump still frozen.

Two questions.

Do I attack the replacement from the bottom? How long approximately does it take for a reasonably experienced person with mostly the right tools to do the job?

It is an 85 LX with the v6, auto tranny. Bone stock in all respects.

thanks for any help in advance. "But now is the time for the younger men to lock in rough encounters, time for me to yield to the pains of old age. But there was a day I shone among the champions."

Homer, The Illiad, 23.715-719 (800 BC). King Nestor of Pylos.

Reply to
patricktee

patricktee wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Buy a short belt and bypass the smog pump.

Joe

If the car is in real nice condition, just get a replacement smog pump. If its beat, bypass the pump. I say this because if it is nice and you take steps to keep it relatively original and complete it will be a better investment than a beater with 50 different half-baked fixes.

Reply to
cprice

" snipped-for-privacy@here.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@here.com:

Bypassing the pump can be done for the cost of a belt, takes all of a few minutes, and is easily undoable. Replacing the pump will cost hundreds and take at least a day at a shop.

Idiot.

Reply to
Joe

Hey asshat, what in the car is expecting the pump to be there? 85 is on the cusp of the computerized era. I know my 85 GT had some sort of ECU. What sort of primitive engine mamangement does this car have and how might it be affected by removing the smog pump?

I like your junkyard mentality. If its broken, rip it out. Do you fix rust by cutting holes in your cars too? I'll bet you have cars up on blocks in your yard too? Any chance you and kate are from the same area of alabama?

Fix the fricking thing right if its in good shape. Otherwise bypass the belt.

Reply to
cprice

I should have followed up earlier. Of course you are right. I have some pretty nice wheels that are totally screwed smog wise and do not intend to make the same mistake with this car. I am no hurry to fix it, nothing but rain where I live for weeks now anyway.

thanks "But now is the time for the younger men to lock in rough encounters, time for me to yield to the pains of old age. But there was a day I shone among the champions."

Homer, The Illiad, 23.715-719 (800 BC). King Nestor of Pylos.

Reply to
patricktee

" snipped-for-privacy@here.com" wrote in news:KJgzf.257082$2k.30459@pd7tw1no:

Idiot. If you had a sliver of a clue, you would realize that the smog pump has no effect on what little computer management is on an '85. BTW, my '93 runs just fine w/o the smog pump.

Typically, you missed the point entirely. Idiot.

Whoosh! Right over your pin-shaped head. Idiot.

Reply to
Joe

You must be very young right? I mean with that attitude, your sig and free advice, you have all the makings of the next generation of kids off to college.

"But now is the time for the younger men to lock in rough encounters, time for me to yield to the pains of old age. But there was a day I shone among the champions."

Homer, The Illiad, 23.715-719 (800 BC). King Nestor of Pylos.

Reply to
patricktee

patricktee wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

LOL! Obviously you haven't been here long.

Reply to
Joe

Idiot. Double LOL, the original poster is flaming you. Idiot.

I guess he likes my advice better than yours. Go back to humping your sister/mom/barnyard swine

Reply to
cprice

" snipped-for-privacy@here.com" wrote in news:cmCzf.265951$2k.29705 @pd7tw1no:

I posted what I did because it's true and it works. Think I give a rat's ass if you or anyone else doesn't like it?

FOAD, asshole.

Reply to
Joe