p0301 diagnostic code

the code 0301 is coming up. my 98 mustang started idling and running rough. i replaced wires and plugs to no avail. any ideas?

98 gt vert
Reply to
joe smith

Gap the plugs correctly? Wires installed correctly?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

a misfire code can be ignition fuel or compression related, listen to the injector with a stethoscope see if they all sound the same. Chip

Reply to
Chip Stein

What Chip said.... P0301 is for cylinder #1

Reply to
Jim Warman

I will quote the p0301 from one of my OBDII books.

P0301: Cylinder Number 1 Misfire Conditions: Engine running in a positive torque condition, then the PCM detected a misfire condition in engine cylinder number 1 (lack of spark or fuel metering, base engine)

So maybe take a look at the spark output that fires off cyl 1. Pop off the the 1 cyl wire and hold it about 1/8 of a inch next to known good ground, NOT the neg terminal on the battery, you may get a late 4th of July explosion.

Like chip said, you can use the stethescope, if it isn't firing then i would use a noid light to see if the injector is getting the pulse, they can be bought at the local parts store. Just pop off the injector wiring and put the light in the wiring, start the motor then go and see if the light is flashing. If it is flashing then the injector is getting pulse and it SHOULD be firing, but it doesn't mean that you don't have a clogged injector or other problems with the fuel system... Remember doing this may also set another Pxxxx code.

If you decide to get a set of noid lights at the parts store, maybe take a look for a spark tester. It looks like a half of a spark plug and lets you clamp the wire to a ground and lets you check the spark from the wire in a more controlled enviroment, and you don't need an assistant to crank/start the motor as you hold the wire.

Also, check the base timing. There should be detailed direction on one of the underhood stickers on how to do this.

I am not sure, but I am thinking there is coil packs on that car. If you have a multi meter check the resistance in the pack that fires the 1 cylinder. I don't know what the value should be but there should be quite a bit, about 1.6k or so. Just check with the other terminals and match readings and look for abnormalities. When removing the packs don't forget to disconect either the battery (this may erase codes) or disconnect the wiring that goes to the control module.

Good luck man, let me know what you find out.

Brandon

Reply to
indi