PC-based monitor/programmer?

Ok, so I'm on a posting kick tonight, but I got my new bumper installed today so the mustang is back to being my favorite money hole.

Anyway, I remember researching a while back ODB-II readers and programmers that worked with a PC instead of a handheld. Something I could plug in and have my laptop in the passenger seat doing live logging/data-display, and reprogramming in real-time as-needed.

I'm drawing a blank now, and google is being useless, anyone know what I'm talking about? It was fairly cheap, and would play oh-so-nice with my in-dash computer.

Reply to
japhar81

Bad enough someone is going to gab on a cell phone while they are trying to drive... Now they want to gawk at a computer screen instead of looking at what they are about to run into.... Driving a car is a full time proposition. If you don't believe that, all you need to do is read the newspaper.

Reply to
Jim Warman

no no no... im not going to use the thing as anything more than an extra gauge cluster while driving. Just a digital version of my analog (and totally inprecise) dash.

Now while parked waiting on the girlfriend to finish her shopping, why not screw around with some settings?

Reply to
japhar81

Jim c'mon... go grab a beer & watch some tv! He didn't say he was gonna fug around with it while driving... =(

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

too late for beer and tv, pats won. Unfortunately not by enough to make me any money :-/

Reply to
japhar81

japhar81 opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The Pats have singlehandedly screwed up the NFL betting system. I told everyone to bet the Pats on simple win but if anyone was dum enuff to give

10, take the Iggles and run!
Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

heh, I bet pats by 7:/

Reply to
japhar81

My kid forced me to watch Fast and Furious... what can I say. At my age, knee jerk is the only reaction I can muster some days.

Apologies to japhar...

I still stand by my thoughts if people do monitor/alter running parameters in an "on the fly" scenario...

Besides... I bought a satelltie dish and gave up on TV... all I got to look forward to is scooter weather.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Ugh! Stupid movie!! But of course you were dead-on in your original post. I just don't think he was gonna do that... but if he was.. he prolly ain't now!! haha

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

I'd prefer to screw around with the girlfreind 8^).... Marry her and buy her a car and you wont have to wait....

I hope I didn't make a faux pas there.... Mrs mechanic has been married for

31 years. Appears to be the exception rather than the rule in these modern times...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Yeah, a bit young for marrying her yet. We are engaged, and she has a car, but still, i wind up waiting.

Reply to
japhar81

haha, no 2 fast 2 stupid for me, i swear! I just dont like the handheld things, theyre small, they dont give me pretty graphs, and, well, theyre not as cool as having it all built in.

Besides, I've already got a powerful onboard PC for GPS/Nav and code reading/diagnostics, Im just trying to integrate more.

Reply to
japhar81

At this point,, you're being trained!..

Reply to
Chuck

yeah, no kidding

Reply to
japhar81

Here's one you can buy built or in a do-it-yourself kit. Comes with the software and the API in case you're interested in writing your own code.

I don't have this one, but I have a similar one.

JS

Reply to
JS

Reply to