Ping>>>>>>>>JD Adams

JD, can you tell me what the OD is on your front sway bar? Also does the rear sway bar have white paint on it? I bought an M5400A kit and the front sway bar looks a little ratty for a new one and the OD in the middle of the front is about 1 1/8" maybe 1 3/16". The rear sway bar looks to be about the same size as the bar that is in my GT now. The box was repackaged at the Stangstore where I bought it and I was wondering if they may have given me the wrong front sway bar. Thanks in advance for your help.

Dennis

03 GT Black
Reply to
Dennis
** JD, can you tell me what the OD is on your front sway bar? Also does the ** rear sway bar have white paint on it? I bought an M5400A kit and the front ** sway bar looks a little ratty for a new one and the OD in the middle of the ** front is about 1 1/8" maybe 1 3/16". The rear sway bar looks to be about ** the same size as the bar that is in my GT now. The box was repackaged at ** the Stangstore where I bought it and I was wondering if they may have given ** me the wrong front sway bar. Thanks in advance for your help. ** ** Dennis ** 03 GT Black **

Hmmm. The specs for the M-5400-A kit are as follows:

Front anti-sway bar: 28 mm. tubular ('blue' marking)

Rear anti-sway bar: 21 mm. tubular (not sure on marking!)

My website is incorrect with regards to the marking on the front bar - it should be blue, not white.

Here's the deal, as far as I know.

GT and Cobra swaybars are the same up front: both are 'orange', tubular and 30 MM in size. Bullitt front swaybars are 'blue', tubular and 28 MM in size. Bullitt front swaybars are slightly smaller and marked with blue paint.

The Bullitt rear swaybar should be noticeably smaller than GT or Cobra bars:

21mm tubular vs. a tubular 26 MM for the GT/Cobra. As for paint marking, mine has none visible.

Your new front swaybar is fine if it is close to the GT bar and has orange paint on it. The rear bar should be MUCH smaller than the GT bar. If it isn't, you've been porked, and it should be returned.

I don't own a dial caliper, or I would measure both for you. I can take a photograph of the rear if it will help. (a picture of the front bar is on my website.)

Please let me know if I can be of further service to you.

-JD

________________________________________________________ | | | 1998 Laser Red GT RAMFM Member Since 1998 | | M-5400-A Suspension http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams || Subframe Connectors & Seat Bracing, Strut Tower Brace || 4-point K-frame Brace, Tremec T-45 & OEM 3.27:1 Gears ||________________________________________________________|

Reply to
JD Adams

Thanks very much JD, I thought the Bullitt swaybars were bigger but I guess that I was thinking ass backwards. I have to go back out and measure them again, but I am getting that porked feeling. Thanks again for your help. Dennis

Reply to
Dennis
** Thanks very much JD, I thought the Bullitt swaybars were bigger but I guess ** that I was thinking ass backwards. I have to go back out and measure them ** again, but I am getting that porked feeling. Thanks again for your help. ** Dennis

No problem. The Bullitt anti-sway bars are softer than GT bars, due to the much stiffer linear springs and more aggressive shock valving. Everything in the Bullitt suspension system was designed to work well together.

Compare the Bullitt bars to the GT bars. The Bullitt front bar should be slightly smaller than the GT. The Bullitt rear bar should be quite a bit smaller than the GT. You were correct about the finish on the front bar; on mine, it seemed 'stippled' a bit, and I'm not sure why, but every front bar I've ever seen looked that way.

Incidentally, after installing the Bullitt system, I successfully sold the GT bars to a Coupe owner on eBay. He truly felt that his 6-cyl. coupe would handle better with GT swaybars installed. Sadly, he bought them, even though I explained that putting GT bars on a Coupe was a mismatch, and that though body roll would decrease, the ride harshness would be nearly unbearable. Caviet Emptor.