pinging problem 01 Gt

Hey guys, I have a 01 Gt convertible that pings like crazy if I don't use Super Unleaded (Exxon preferably) it pings under a load.anything else just driving under a small load like accelerating it pings lightly. now I have considered doing the water spray in the intake and seeing if it's carbon build up but after the next test I'm not so sure now. also considered some top engine cleaners as well. Now here's my another thing I did, my buddy let me borrow a Predator tuner just so I could do some data logging and I noticed that when running down the hi-way the timing is running anywhere from 38 to 48 deg. of timing even when it was pinging. it never retarded that much when it was pinging. Now I have some thoughts on this but I want the lists opinion on this problem and see if I'm going in the right direction here. Thanks Charles

Reply to
Charles (Defiant)

Does that car have a knock sensor? Might be defective/disconnected. I would think this would set the MIL though, but worth a look. Run the engine and tap the engine block near the sensor and see if the timing retards.

Carbon buildup can be fixed, more or less, with GM Top Engine cleaner. Ford may have it's own version I dunno.

It's nasty stuff, and you better warn the neighbors and remove little kids from the street before you use it :)

Generates tons of smoke, but if you follow the instructions TO THE LETTER it works very well. I am not a fan of additives, per se' other than fuel, oil and occasional quality fuel injector cleaner but this one does work. It's scary to use though :)

Reply to
John

read the plugs, check compression see if you got a bad cylinder. if you have some oil getting it will cause the pinging too.

Reply to
Chumley

Reply to
Charles (Defiant)

I have problems with bad gas, I think they sell 87 or 91 for 93 here, and I get into pinging for a tankful. have to add octane boost, but that is hard to find now. Still trying to locate a honest station. Some guy was selling 94.

Reply to
Dr Chumley