convertible top

Greetings all,

I recently had Isabel lower my top without permission.

Who makes the best aftermarket convertible tops that would fit a 87 GT vert? Does anyone know if sailcloth is better than canvas? Years ago I bought a top from mustangs unlimited that was a much heaver grade canvas than stock and it held up good. Problem is that they dont sell these same heavy duty tops anymore, and they now sell a much thinner grade new stock canvas top.

Reply to
Dave

Dave

Our McLaren Mustang came with the Stayfast Canvas. I think it looks better and holds up better (in the Phoenix sun)better than vinyl.

Our resident McLaren expert uses:

for his 'vert tops.

Hank Phoenix '89 McLaren '87 McLaren '85 GT

Reply to
Hank

I know that when it's time to change my top again (prolly next summer) I am going to go with a black cloth top. These vinyl tops are giving me fits and the white is a nightmare to keep clean. She may not have that sleek all white look, but hell, the top is only up 25% of the time anyway.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top

| >I recently had Isabel lower my top without permission. | >

| >Who makes the best aftermarket convertible tops that would fit a 87 GT | >vert? Does anyone know if sailcloth is better than canvas? Years ago I | >bought a top from mustangs unlimited that was a much heaver grade canvas | >than stock and it held up good. Problem is that they dont sell these same | >heavy duty tops anymore, and they now sell a much thinner grade new stock | >canvas top. | >

Reply to
SVTKate

No! Say it ain't so Kate! Your car is TOO SHARP to replace the White top!

Reply to
Katmandu

After all that kvetching about two - tone ponys Kate, you are gonna sell out? Might as well put the tan OEM top back on....

Matt

89 5.0 GT Vert black top midnight blue body platinum ground effects
Reply to
Matt

AARGH... ok ok.. you win, you're right.

I really DO hate the two tone look. When we get to TN, she will get to sit a lot in the garage anyway, less crap in the air from smog... More time to primp her.

and I DO have a brand new top (white) in the garage.

I wonder if anyone makes a white cloth top.. hmmm....

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Where in TN are you moving ??

We have family in Lebanon. Pretty nice area down there.

Reply to
Katmandu

We are looking at the Savannah, Lexington, Waynesboro area.

I don't think I could stand living in a town with the name Lebanon.. it would see a bit odd LOL

Kate

| > I really DO hate the two tone look. | > When we get to TN, she will get to sit a lot in the garage anyway, less | crap | > in the air from smog... | > More time to primp her. | >

| > and I DO have a brand new top (white) in the garage. | >

| > I wonder if anyone makes a white cloth top.. hmmm.... | >

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

LOL!

Lebanon is actually a REAL nice little town. It's growing super fast though.

My mother-in-law lives a few miles away from Reba McIntyre's Estate. My Sister-in-law's Grandfather-in-law sold some land of his to Dell Computers just outside Lebanon.

Reply to
Katmandu

I got pulled over for speeding there in 1988, 75 in a 65 IIRC, the bastards. I was driving from FL, USAF stationed in Ft. Walton Beach, to OH on vacation. They took credit cards on the spot to pay the ticket, the bastards. I didn't want to pay on the spot so they kept my license, OH at the time, and the ticket stub was my license. I paid by postal MO and had them mail my license to my FL address. If that's not using the speed limit as an income, I don't know what is, the bastards.

Reply to
Mike King

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel...

Reply to
Ralph Snart

Sorry, forgot this on from another board; /rant off/ The speed limit thing, that's another thread...

Reply to
Mike King

That sucks.

Are you still in the USAF ??

I retired on April Fool's Day (of this year) after serving in the USAF for

20 years.

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam!

Check out the Ford Engine Heaven!

Katmandu

OUCH! I am told the first thing I should do when I cross the border is register my car. They say out of state plates attract trouble like flies on stink.

| > Lebanon is actually a REAL nice little town. It's growing super fast | > though. | >

| > My mother-in-law lives a few miles away from Reba McIntyre's Estate. My | > Sister-in-law's Grandfather-in-law sold some land of his to Dell Computers | > just outside Lebanon. | >

| > -- | > ERIC | >

| > 89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker | > 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam! | >

| > Check out the Ford Engine Heaven! | >

| > > I don't think I could stand living in a town with the name Lebanon.. it | > > would see a bit odd LOL | > >

| > > Kate | > >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

I thought you were a KID!!!

geeze, these computers make everyone (but Bill S that is *wink*) look young!

Kate

| > > Lebanon is actually a REAL nice little town. It's growing super fast | > > though. | > >

| > > My mother-in-law lives a few miles away from Reba McIntyre's Estate. My | > > Sister-in-law's Grandfather-in-law sold some land of his to Dell | Computers | > > just outside Lebanon. | > >

| > > -- | > > ERIC | > >

| > > 89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker | > > 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam! | > >

| > > Check out the Ford Engine Heaven! | > >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

I can vouch for that! Driving from TX (car had TX plates) to WA via CA got me 5 written warnings when there were 10x that many natives flying by me in cars that would catch anyone's eye. I was driving an '89 Ford Escort Pony at the time and the only mod I had done to it was the tint job and a Kenwood AM/FM/CD player. Thing didn't even have cruise control!

Reply to
Greg B.

It was the tint job Greg, they hate that. Prolly thought you were an illegal with those TX plates!

Kate

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Yeah, prolly. I guess what saved me from getting fined for the speed was 1) I had the turn signal on aprx 2 sec after getting red-lighted and 2) flashed my military ID after the CHP asked if I knew my driver's license expired. :) I always loved that perk of the service!

Reply to
Greg B.

LMAO! A "kid" at heart!!

I REFUSE to grow up!! :>)

Yea, Bill S. is an "Old Fart"! He's a couple months older than me!

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam!

Check out the Ford Engine Heaven!

Katmandu

Yea, the FSP is funded largly by Traffic Tickets. They are one of the State Patrols that give the rest of them a bad name.

Reply to
Katmandu