Point Setting For 1967 Ford Mustang

Can someone tell me what the proper setting is for a 1987 Ford Mustang with a 289 engine?

Thanks John

Reply to
John

oooooops.... left out one important word...... Can someone tell me what the proper POINT setting is for a 1987 Ford Mustang with a 289 engine?

Reply to
John

.016 Chip

Reply to
chip

thanks Chip...... Have a HAPPY ans SAFE New Year!!!!

Reply to
John

Save yourself a tons of hassle and spend $36.00 for a pertronix electronic ignition. Installs in 5 mins., in the stock distributor, can't be seen and improves the overall operation of the car! You won't be sorry at all!

Reply to
Gearhead-FMC

I second that motion.. I put it in a 76 CJ5. Works great. No modification was needed. I did (at the same time) put a hotter coil on it. IF you were to have any problems with the pertronix, you just remove it, and the plastic ring that goes over the distributor cam, reinstall a set of points..and go..

Reply to
Chuck

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

I like mine. Do you guys recommend eliminating the resistor wire or not? Just curious what everone else is doing.

Reply to
Mark

Chuck wrote: "IF you were to have any problems with the pertronix, you just remove it, and the plastic ring that goes over the distributor cam, reinstall a set of points..and go.."

----------------------------------------------------- And you will if you forget to turn off the ignition after parking.Mine lasted 3K miles and cost $85.+.But from what I've heard in these groups they do fine if you don't forget.

********************
Reply to
Brian Orion

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Re: "You mean as in leaving the key in the ignition position as opposed to switching to ACC if the engine is not running? Is there a reason for this problem?"

---------------------------------------------------- That's it.Happened to me.heard from others ,same thing.Thought I'd menton it.

********************
Reply to
Brian Orion

I mean they mention in the installation instructions to carry points with you.Does that tell you anything?

Reply to
Brian Orion

I've got 5 years and 30,000 miles on mine with no problem.. Friends who do restorations use them with no problems but then they usualy don't put on many miles. If you have points in the ignition, you don't want to leave it in the "run" position , without engine running. You'll burn up the points..

It doesn't say anything about carry points with you . but I do anyway.. for $5 ... cheap insurance..

Reply to
Chuck