Power steering pump removed. How do you hook up a water pump V belt?

When removing a power steering pump set up with V belts, How do you hook = up a belt to turn the water pump? Is there a special eliminator bracket = or dummy pulley set up? What is the cheapest way to do this. I'm broke...........again......... This subject had to come up in the past but I could'nt find it. This is on a 302 (late 70's vintage) with V belts, Just has an = alternator on passenger side and a water pump with no way to hook a V = belt up to it. The lower crank pulley has 4 spaces for belts though. The car is a 67 Mustang with No power steering, no power brakes, no air, = no smog pump, nothing ! It just needs a water pump idler pulley set up = for a V belt.

Please spew forth your knowledge and solutions to this problem. Thanks

Danford1

Reply to
Dan

belt to turn the water pump? Is there a special eliminator bracket or dummy pulley set up?

passenger side and a water pump with no way to hook a V belt up to it. The lower crank pulley has 4 spaces for belts though.

smog pump, nothing ! It just needs a water pump idler pulley set up for a V belt.

Using the correct stock pulley's, you can use a single belt to run the waterpump and alternator. That's the way they came from the factory.

Reply to
.boB

As boB says, you've got to run a single belt from crank to alternator to water pump. The trick is to find a set of pulleys that lines up all three. You've got to have perfect alignment or you'll get an annoying squeal. Custom Auto Air in Tampa has a good supply of these kinds of parts. As another suggestion, it might be easier to find a two row pulley for the alternator than to find a WP pulley with the correct offset.

What *I* would do is put that power steering pump back on. You will not be happy with manual steering, particularly if you have retained the power steering box (16:1 ratio vs. 22:1 for manual) and the PS Pitman arm and idler arm (they're longer than the manual steering units). Unless you're a really strong guy.

On the other hand, if you still want to get rid of the PS pump, ram, and control valve, I know a '65 Mustang that would give them a good home.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out