program

I run a Pentium 400 at home and we have two Pentium 350s and a Pentium 233 at work that all run Windows XP. No reason a Pentium 400 wouldn't run Windows 95.

I miss DOS too. I thought I'd forgotten everything I ever new about it, but I was working in a DOS window a couple times last week and found myself using commands and function keys without even thinking about it. Kinda fun after all these years.

Blue Gator

desktop-style

Reply to
Blue Gator

My favorite is Xnews because (in no particular order):

a) It supports X-Faces.

b) Posts in a thread are all color-coded so it's very easy to tell who said what.

c) It allows you to post without word wrap (great for those long URLs).

d) Supports multiple servers/users all within a single session.

e) Allows you to change header information for each post in real time.

f) Supports multiple identities.

g) Handles multipart binaries beautifully.

h) Allows you to selectively reconstruct threads.

i) Shows header information with a single click.

j) E-mail and newsgroup post from a single editing session.

k) Single-click X-No-Archive.

etc.

"SVTKate" wrote in news:ezIdb.10183$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
Joe

I'm running Win98SE on an old Digital P-Pro 200 at work, only because I have to use a USB printer - it works pretty well. There is much to be said about 'vintage machines.'

Even now, I buy old DOS software for my archive, everything from MicroFocus COBOL to Clipper, things that I could never afford back in the 80's. I have a TON of old DOS business applications packed away. I still believe that DOS will make a comeback, if the Internet ever falls out of favor. If it weren't for the Internet, we'd still all be using DOS boxes, IMO.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams Please note: UCE is deleted at the ISP server level. Unless your address is on my 'accept list', your mail will never reach me. See my website for more information.

Reply to
JD Adams

SOunds like some good features Joe. Thanks :)

Kate

| > If you say OE sucks... lets hear some reasons WHY you think so, and | > what features make your reader better than OE. | >

| > "It Sucks" is not reason enough to go to the trouble to download and | > break in a new program. | >

| > Kate | >

Reply to
SVTKate

My hubby has my old 450 PII, it runs XP Pro no sweat.

| > >Dang JD! Why not break down and get a new one? | >

| > No way! I gave up the 'upgrade' race a long time ago, and vowed not to | > purchase new hardware unless it was absolutely neccessary. | >

| > I'm the only bastage that still clings to Windows 95b, and this particular | > computer only cost me $3.50 a few years ago. Compared to the 386-40 it | > replaced in 2001, it's a speed demon. (Yes, I used Windows 3.11 on the | 386.) | >

| > It's not THAT bad! I put in 128K RAM, 40GB hard drive, a Yamaha CD | burner, | > and it has sound and an embedded 2MB video chip inside. I even have a | newer | > NEC flat-panel display on top. Oh yes, it's one of the older | desktop-style | > cases that I've always loved. And it has a lightning-fast Pentium Pro

200 | > chip on an Intel AP-440-FX mainboard, which was pretty high-tech for it's | day. | >

| > I'm considering buying a used IBM desktop later this year, perhaps with | one of | > those PII-400 chips. That should be fast enough to run Mozilla, and it | should | > still be able to run Windows 95b. We'll see! | >

| > In the meantime, I still have a couple of beloved old 486-33's in the | closet, | > loaded with DOS 7.0, ready to go. They're loaded with WordStar 5.0, Lotus | > 1-2-3 v2.01 and dBaseIII+. I miss the glory days of DOS!! | >

| > -JD | >

| > _________________________________ | > JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: | > http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams| >

| > Please note: UCE is deleted at the ISP server level. | > Unless your address is on my 'accept list', your | > mail will never reach me. See my website for more | > information. | |

Reply to
SVTKate

All of those seem fine & dandy... but more than I *need*. I like OE 6. It has what I need w/out too much fluff. Cya.

Reply to
memsetpc