proper voltage levels 89 GT?

Hey guys,

couple of years back, I installed a 3G alternator in my '89GT. I believe it's a 130 AMP unit. Seems like at idle I am not putting out any serious volts. I idle at about 650 RPMS and only putting out 11.9 volts according to my meter. When RPMs go above 800 or so, then I'm putting out about 14 volts.

Question I have is: is this normal?

Reply to
Frank
** Hey guys, ** ** couple of years back, I installed a 3G alternator in my '89GT. I ** believe it's a 130 AMP unit. Seems like at idle I am not putting out ** any serious volts. I idle at about 650 RPMS and only putting out 11.9 ** volts according to my meter. When RPMs go above 800 or so, then I'm ** putting out about 14 volts. ** ** Question I have is: is this normal?

Are you using underdrive pullies?

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

No underdrive pullies.

Reply to
Frank
** No underdrive pullies

It doesn't sound out of spec to me. (JW might disagree, however mine kicks out about 12.5 volts at idle, and pushes it up to 14+ at 800+ rpm.)

Just to be on the safe side, check each battery cell with a hydrometer to see if a dead cell is making life miserable for your alternator.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Thanks, JD.

I use an Optima battery so I can't check the battery cells. I wasn't sure if this was normal or not, but I'm guessing it is by the sounds of it, since your pony is putting out the same voltage as mine at the same RPMs.

Reply to
Frank