question concerning reading codes.....

93LX with the 2.3 has intermittent CEL. Runs fine, good though. Does the light have to be on to read the code or does the computer store a history? Afriend has a reader, I just need to go borrow it (he has a T-bird of same vintage).

Sorry about all the questions lately, bought the car for 700.00 and am slowly trying to fix all the little things I find wrong so my daughter can have it.

For those that replied to my vibration issue after I changed plugs and wires (about 30 miles later), I believe it is just bad motor mounts causing all the ruckus. Now I have to find some, but that was another post.

Thanks to all who have helped so far.....

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Pierce

The codes are stored. Just borrow the reader and write them down.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Borrow a code reader and read the instructions carefully. In a nutshell when the car is put onto test mode it will cycle the CPU controlled solenoids, measure the potentiometers and the like, then give you a read out of everything it finds wrong at the time, then it will pause and then give you a readout of everything it has detected bad in the last 40 startups. (actually the last 40 closed loop cycles.)

Reply to
Ironrod

Thanks Ironrod and Al.... will do so this weekend, I hope.

GP

Reply to
Gerry Pierce

I have same car and couldn't find a port for the code reader. There is a port under the hood that you have to put jumpers in and use a multimeter to read the no. of sweeps. Its rather awkward and you end up redoing it to confirm it. I have a haynes book for it the outlined the proceadure and code intrpretations.you could copy the relevant pages at the library.the book said the port was on passenger side but mine was on driver side

Reply to
android32