Reading Codes

I have just bought a 99 Stratus. I also own a 96 caravan, and a 97 caravan. Is there any way to read the codes on the stratus without a reader? The key on/off/on method does not appear to work, as it does with the vans. thks.

Reply to
Mike C1

I think you'll find newer model cars are all using the OBD II, or whatever they call it. This wont work with key-on/off. The newer system has many more possible codes and requires a special reader. The readers will cost $100 and up.

Reply to
AHoudini

The '96 will give you codes using the ignition key. It's OBD II. I don't think the newer ones do though.

Reply to
David Allen

Not completely true. My 2000 Neon is OBD II compatible, but I still use key-on/off to get codes.

Reply to
Bill2

Don't know but some car parts stores will read them for you for free.

me-not-you

Reply to
me-not-you