RAMFM - How I remember thee...

Yes, but the Great Flame Wars seem to have hit their peak around the year

2000. Other than the off-topic political and/or religious crossposts, this group has become downright civil. Dammit.

You need new hobbies. Mine is Law and Order reruns, and I can usually read and type during the commercials. Other than that, I'm working on my landscaping. Obviously, that's a seasonal pursuit, and this ain't the season.

Same up here in these woods - and it seems to have happened overnight. I remember seeing Foxes everywhere, and they're all gone now. The one nice one locally is currently for sale - a red/grey GT, but I have no specifics on it. Other than that, I can go days without seeing one.

Remember, the youngest Fox is now 14 years old, and that's an eternity for an automobile. The entire class is entering the "classic" stage, and a very small percentage of them have survived. You used to muse about the Fox as being the 80s version of the '57 Chevy, and it looks like you were right. The question remains whether the old 5.0's will become big-time restoration favorites or whether they'll be allowed to rust off to obscurity.

(Or, as in 1993, only 205.) You're right. Ironically, the newest generation Mustang has the capability of making the 15 years of Foxes seem like the Mustang IIs, as far as desirability. Not just more oomph, but a more complete package. Those poor old 5.0's may be destined to die off at the track and may never be seen as collectibles. Time will tell.

(Just saw a listing for an '89, I believe, with an advertised 23,000 on the clock. To me, having to FEW miles on a car of that age might be as problematic as too MANY miles.)

...and left now to the Chosen Few.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

That could be, and it could also be relative to some of those web-based sites that include the posts as part of their content. There may be people who participate in this group that have no idea what Usenet was...

That's the same with me. My address is at AOL.com and I haven't used that forever. Once I was off AOL, I posted using my peoplepc account. I may have some via Earthlink too, but I'd have to check. I think I munged the address using something like @gs.455 or @gs455.com...

I don't normally put myself in places to see the nice ones either. Once in a while I'll see one on Craigslist or something. However it may be a completely different car once you see it in person.

They do have the big Mustang show just up the street from my house at Bellevue Community College. I haven't been to it since we moved here in 2003 though. I'm not really one for car shows.

That's true, but I still like the combination of styling, performance, ease to work on, and gas mileage. It's definitely one of the best ever starting points regardless of which direction you want to go in.

There's always some more out there. You just need to be in the right place at the right time with the right amount of cash available.

Yes, he got out several years ago. I caught a baseball game with him not long before he headed back to Texas.

I think he still had the Miata when I last saw him, however I have no idea if he still does now. He was working on SVO's for a while too. He liked things pretty technological, while I liked inefficient, big cube motors that I could get in and expect nearly the same results from every weekend.

I haven't really gone anywhere. We moved from Kirkland to Bellevue about five months after the wedding - a distance of about 20 miles. We've rooted ourselves pretty solidly here and plan to stay for as long as we imagine.

I don't find myself in Florida (that's the same place, right?) at all. I've been to Boston for a conference and many trips out to Virginia for training. I think there was something going on in Florida at the end of February. Unfortunately I didn't get in on it in time. Oh well... I'm still waiting for you to come up to the other corner yourself.

Are you still in the Air Force?

Steve

72 Skylark Custom455

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

I think those days are forever gone. The internet is no longer a new toy, and the kids have found/know the niches they enjoy and trolling a NG isn't one of them anymore.

I don't watch much TV. At lunch time I'll watch Jon Stewart and ocassionally I'll catch a boxing match, maybe a Curb Appeal/Garden Guy on HGTV, or a nature show, but that's about it. My TV time is a couple hours a week, tops.

I saw two today. One an LX 5-oh. It was pretty beat up and had that ugly chrome fender trim and a pair of funky big-tube exhaust extensions welded to the tips of the original tail pipes. Needless to say the car wasn't pretty.

The other was very clean looking. It had nice shiny paint and looked straight [from about 50 yards anyway]. It was a red GT wearing chrome Cobra Rs & black-outed headlight covers, was lowered a bit, and had what looked to be a Saleen rear wing -- very mid/late 90's retro.

While there are some signs of these cars could become "classics" -- there are a few 5-oh resto companies -- I don't know if the automotive enviroment will ever again see the type of perfect storm the first muscle car era saw -- a decade+ decline in factory performance and a huge generation of buyers (the Boomers) wanting to re-live their past coming together. I just don't see it happening, at least not in the same numbers and dollars. Even myself, when my Cobra starts to become more work than pleasure, I don't know if I'll have the desire to turn the wrenches when there will be lots of used, affordable, and much better performing '03-'04 Mach 1s/Cobras, and '05 and up GTs. Especially, when I only have a two-car garage.

Good points.

Yes, stored cars can bring their own set of problems. (Our old LTD had a number of them.) The key is how/where they're stored.

Chosen or did you mean crazy?

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

While I'd rather see the cars working out at a track, car shows are a good place to make contacts with other owners -- a few times these shows are where I found some good local sources for parts and services.

My thing is facilities. If I had a three-car garage or a pole barn somewhere a project car would be great. But without that, I'll probably opt to get something newer so I can daily drive it and be able to tuck it away every night in the garage.

Oh I'm sure if you look around a bit you can find them, but they're not around sitting in the local used car lots like they used to be.

Gosh, he was in for about 10 years of so when he punched wasn't he?

He flipped flopped alot. Late model Cobras, then SVOs, then BMWs & import sports cars, then Miatas and at the very end he was praising classic 60s stuff.

Oh yeah... and what was the old statement that was always used... ' I was just minding my own business when...' -- all of a sudden some guy wanted to race me, the cops showed up, something stupid happened? Do you remember that?

How's the wife doing?

Yep. FL has its good points, but I really miss the West.

For about two more years. Once the kids finish their Bachelors (one will be done in a year the other in a year and a half) I'll retire. Then it'll be about job prospects if we stay here or go somewhere else. Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

You know, as long as I've been away...I do miss seeing triple T on here (TtT). Dems waz da dayz...Hope he's doing well...

Reply to
Jimmy

Funny thing, Patrick. Had a kid last year (maybe eve 2005?) at a local car show who just simply could not believe I had a Fox 5.0 GT in original condition. Seemed VERY funny to me but I told him I'd bring it the following week. He said I could get 12-14k for the car...to which I laughed and said that's what they cost new.....PLUS...mine needed work...he was adamant about the price and I said I think you're mistaken but thanks for the kudos...(mine is FAR from close to being perfect)

Fantastic point. An example...today..(ok..watch tells me it happened YESTERDAY) weather was fantastic. Washed the stang and took it for a cruise around the neighborhood. GOt a call from a neighbor I see at the local car shows in the Bronx. He calls me and says he saw me in the Mustang and remembered I was the guy who was interested in his 4bbl Pontiac manifold...he calls me and I go to pick it up. Figure it would be a rusted old manifold needing work(but free is free!)...Anyway...it was far from the case. It was sand blasted...like new and ready to rock! I was beside myself! And he gave me a bottle of his homemade Italian wine (RED) TO BOOT! Great guy...not just because of what he did for me but he's really into cars. More interested in what folks actually do for themselves....not the folks wigh deep pockets but those that do what they can. .

C'mon Patrick! Don't you remember as kids when none of us had an umbrella to work under? Let alone a garage! If I can keep em all registered and insured...I'll keep em running! WOO HOO! :-)

He did to that rather thorough filter test (off the top of my head from bobistheoilguy.com ? But I'm old now....however pretty sure that's correct)

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

Anyone heard from Buzz? I sent an email a while back but havn't gotten a response.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Speak not the name of the Beast, lest ye favor its return.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

:-P Found him... (link munged to protect the spamless)

[at] rogers.com/

Reply to
WindsorFox

It's been a while, but I email Buzz updates. Since I haven't had many in a couple of years they've been few and far between. He's active on the Ontario Drags Forums though. I visited him back in 2003 and got to ride in his Mustang to the drag strip where he made several passes.

Steve

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve