Got new wheels, now brakes shudder

HI, I got new wheels for my 67 mustang and I am pretty sure they were put on with a torq stick to prevent overtightening and therefore warping of the drums, but still when I stop the brakes and brake pedal shudder to the point where I am scared to drive. Could this be something else or does this only come from warped drums? Thanks.

Reply to
Will

More than one time, I went in for tire rotation, and got pulsating brakes as a bonus, as a result of over-tightened lug nuts. That's not necessarily what happened to you but that would be my guess.

John

Reply to
jmvannoy

Never heard of warped drums. It could happen, I suppose. But I'v never heard of it. I would pull the drums off, inspect the brakes, and then reinstall everything with a torque wrench. Are the new wheels and tires significantly differant then the old ones?

Reply to
.boB

Did a drum lose a balance weight in the process?

I had a front wheel off for some reason on my mav years ago. When I went to put it back on, I bumped it into the balance weight on the drum and knocked it off. The result was pretty nasty on braking. Lots of vibration. I replaced the drum and all was fine.

So, I suspect it's one of two things in your case, a missing balance weight on the drum or the wheels and tires were not properly balanced.

Reply to
Brent P