Re: Fixing roof dent?

Johnny K opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca:

I have a few butt sized dents in the roof of my 67.. What is a good way > to take them out? I can push them out with 1 finger, and they go back to > the original shape (except for the little crease around the > circumference), but it pops back when you remove it.. What about heat? > Dry ice? SOmething like that, without hammering.. What to do? Thanks guys > >

You dont have the skills to do it, you're not going to acquire them soon... and no one can "tell you how" It's called "oil-canned", and fixing it is an art.

A >>>>GOOD

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Heating the metal then cooling very fast (using a wet rag for instance) it will cause the metal to shrink, hence removing the dent. However....as backyard mechanic said. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, how you're doing it, and why you're doing it.....don't reccomend it to try it yourself.

Stephan

Reply to
Stephan Rose

Reply to
Johnny K

Heat around the perimeter to shrink the metal...Quench with cool water every few inches..Beware that this take a truly delicate touch, and you screw things up badly if your not careful, forcing you to replace the roof panel.......Once again, not for the amateur.....................

Bill S.

Johnny K wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Reply to
Johnny K

Reply to
Johnny K

Not if you quench it every two inches...............If you have to ask for clarification, don't you think your in over your head (no pun intended)................

Bill S.

Johnny K wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Reply to
Johnny K

Reply to
Johnny K

Johnny I'd tend to side with the others here. Moreover, I think your letting that roof dent distract you from more pressing issues. I'd get the car in a rolling form and then get it to a pro that can massage it out when the final body work is read to go. You still have a lot of welding and bolting to do before you reach the roof. BTW I'm calling a friend who has a local contact for vintage parts. I know for a fact he just scrapped a California bodied car that had been wrapped around a pole in Toronto, so hopefully he may have some good solid frame and strut rod pieces that can be salvaged. The car was hit hard in the cowl so it was pretty bent! It was a 'vert ( sorry Bill!) StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Johnny K opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca:

Well, like the guy said - It's your car.

How'd that "measure once, cut twice" floor pan come out?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
Johnny K

Reply to
Johnny K

I have a 68 I am in process of getting the top replaced (Vinyl roof with lots of rust) I cut the top off another 68 coupe and the place I am having do the work will cost me about 2k :(

Doglips

Reply to
Doglips

Reply to