Re: GM: Kill Pontiac

Would you say Lincoln Mark VIII was simply a Ford Fairmont with a different body since they both originated from the Ford Fox chassis? ;)

mike hunt

n>

Yes you are right H1 is real hummer > H2 is tahoe/yukon with different body. > > > What the heck is an "H1" > > > >
Reply to
IleneDover

I think it would be more correct to say Suburban 2500 + body kit. It has a GCVW high enough to avoid CAFE. I'll admit the difference is somewhat trivial. The actual H2 wheelbase is different than either the Tahoe or Suburban, but it has the same heavier duty suspension components as the HD Suburban.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The H1 is based on the original military Hum Vee - you know the one that is totally impractical for the street - noisy, bad gas mileage, horrible ride, only four seats, expensive, unreliable, etc., etc., etc. The only people that buy them don't really need them...a "statement" vehicle.

The H2 is a Suburban 2500 with an ugly body, less interior room, and an even higher price tag.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

----- Original Message ----- From: Newsgroups: alt.autos.pontiac,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.ford Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 3:06 PM Subject: Re: GM: Kill Pontiac

In terms of capability that pretty much sums it up. The Mark VIII was a reduced function Fairmont with a more expensive looking interior, an improved ride, and less interior noise.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

No, the GM vehicles we are talking about are almost exactly the same underneath. Not talking about any ford product. Never mentioned Ford. That's a unibody car. We are talking about a vehicle with a real frame. The idea is that when someone uneducated in automotive construction techniques buys a Hummer and thinks they have some unstoppable military issued supertruck when in fact what they have is a rebodied Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon.

Reply to
noname

Ya right. LOL

mike hunt

"C. E. White" wrote:

Reply to
IleneDover

That would be a MK VII (7). I usually joke that mine is a Cougar with a gland problem. I have also referred to it as a Fairmont in disguise. ;)

Reply to
Tom Adkins

So exactly what can a Lincoln Mark VIII do that a Fairmont could not do? I am not talking about costing more, looking nicer, or riding better, I am talking about real capability

- hauling people and cargo, etc.....

Ed

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Did they do that good job of disguising the Mark VIII from the Fairmont by changing the outer body shell, interior, wheel base, microprocessor, engine, transmission, rear and the suspension?

mike hunt

Tom Adk>

Reply to
IleneDover

I remember when Lee Iococca was speaking about one of the cars derived from a car that as derived from a car that was derived from a K-car platform is based on the K-car: It is like calling an ax "my grandfather's ax" after replacing the handle three times and the head twice.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I don't believe the VIII is a Fox platform, Isn't it an MN12 platform? The VII is a Fox car. No, it's not just a warmed over Fairmont, but it is based on the same chassis. There's no denying that it's roots were the Fairmont/LTD/Mustang of the mid 80s. One could say they are siblings. The Cougar and Fairmont references are tongue in cheek references to it's lineage.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Hey look, Ed's still around. :-p

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

The VIII and VIII were both built off the old fox chassis but hardly can one call them the same chassis any more than to say the H2 is a Yukon underneath, as the poster chose to imply

mike hunt

Tom Adk>

Reply to
BigJohnson

platform? The

I say you're correct.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

Partially correct the Mark VIII chassis, like the VII, was developed from the Fox.

mike hunt

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
DustyRhoades

Nope, the Mark VIII is a version of the MN12 Chassis (1993-1998) and most suspension and drivetrain elements are shared with the THunderbirds and COugars of those years.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The Mark VIII is an MN12 variation, not a Fox relation at all.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The is technically correct, but the MN12 was it self a variation of the Fox ;)

mike hunt

"C. E. White" wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

They share nothing of consequence. You seem to think if they share a bolt, then they are variations. I suppose using your twisted logic, the new Mustang is a variation of the Corvette chassis (which is just about as true as some of your ridiculous claims).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The new caddy shares the Corvette chassis not the Mustang. The Volvo 90, Freestyle and 500 have little in common but they too share the same basic chassis as well

You are free to believe what ever you wish. In sure they must have some fasteners in common. I know my 2005 Mustang GT convertible has the same door handles as my 2005 Lincoln LS. But of course that has nothing to do with the basic chassis they share LOL

mike hunt

"C. E. White" wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2