Re: Indiana Speeders BEWARE new UNMARKED Mustang GTs - nothing new

hi - folks......

having lived in indiana for most of my life - other than a trip or two to vietnam. here's some interesting facts that i know.

it was back in 1963, that indiana put the 426 cross ram hemi police cruiser on the highway to patrol. they were good for 180+ mph. i was caught by one when i was a teenager back then and there's a story behind that.

it is in that time frame that indiana was also the first state to use VASCAR. they had 11 different ways of clocking you - even without the use of radar.

back in the early 90's, indiana used mustangs with factory installed

351's with superchargers. as one trooper told me, if i can't catch you with my foot to the floor, then, i will push this little yellow button on the dash and then - i will catch up with you.

the cameros came out around the late 90's and the newspaper even posted the top factory speed of those at 162 mph and they were used to catch the local students going to the university who would fly down the expressway trying to make it to class.

now, here's another tid bit......... for all those using radar detectors..... my information may be dated....

i had one in the car back in the late 80's and early 90's.

the local chief of police (good friend) stopped by my store and we were shooting the breeze. his was sitting in his patrol car and after a while, he started to laugh and i asked him what's so funny.

he said that he's using his instant on feature on his radar unit and was keying his radar to see how fast my radar detector would put it up. he said, "watch this" and he pushed his button and it was about a full second later that the lights went off on my radar detector. he said, "i've already got your speed and your radar detector never knew what hit it"

i quit using one a long time ago, and just set the cruise control and forget it.

wish everyone a great day and a better tomorrow.....

~ curtis

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."

c palmer

True, if you are alone on the road you will get nailed by instant on. But, the hope is you will pick it up when the car in front of you gets radar'd. Since I am rarely alone on the road detectors work well for me.

Reply to
RM v2.0

It's a little different out on the road, especially when there are cars in front of you and I bet a Valentine would wipe that smirk off his face...

Reply to
WindsorFo