Re: NASTY Lil' Cobra Being Twin Screwed

I can't say because I didn't drive the lat 1980s version.

The reason I think it was a bad idea is they greatly narrowed the car's target market. Ford took the original car from a two seater to a four seater with great success. Had they not done that it would likely have been discontinued. Why they thought going back to two seats would mean more sales is beyond me.

IMO, the only thing wrong with the last generation four seat T-Bird was its weight. Had they trimmed 300-400 pounds out of the car it would have been a terrific performer. As I said earlier, that car had RWD, IRS, a solid performing V-8, good styling, nice interior, relatively good performance etc. Ford needs a car with those traits in the worst way.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Well, I'm not positive I agree with that, but they could always call it a Falcon.

Reply to
WindsorFox

I don't care what they would call it as long as it doesn't have a Mustang connotation in its name or even remotely resembles one.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson wrote in news:FqqdnaMkyfl514DanZ2dnUVZ_v snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I think the Mustang would survive with its heritage intact. Even after the Mustang II era, it's going as strong as ever.

Reply to
Joe

The Mustang II era was Nothing compared to bastardizing the entire car by making it a 4 door, or worse a wagon. (think the gay Nazi's driving the '74 pinto wagon in the Blues Brothers here

The Mustang II remained a 2 door PONY car. They did what you are suggesting under another name plate, then as they should now. Would you also lobby for a 4 door station wagon corvette? How about the Ford GT super car with 4 doors, cause we are all getting older ya know... That's retarded, and so is destroying the Mustang, it is, was and always has been a two door PONY CAR. Doesn't it strike you a little odd that you think someone would buy and drive a re-badged Volvo station wagon with a pony in the grill and C-scoops in the quarters because they "really" wanted to be driving a 2-door pony car, a Mustang??? Come On Now, just because you are getting older doesn't mean you gotta ruin it for everyone else.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

I wouldn't risk it if I were Ford. Bone head moves have a way of getting blown out of proportion and I would consider a four door Mustang a bone head move. Do you like the idea of a four door Camaro, Corvette, Miata, Porsche, etc.? I can't believe you would. Would you?

Reply to
Michael Johnson

So, simply stretch out a Mustang platform and body, change out the grill/some trim, slap on a Falcon name and it's golden?

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

So Ford should forever concede the American 2-seat market to the Corvette?

Viper

I agree. And I would like to think so. The problem is they ALWAYS load these "personal coupes" down with tons of options and BS and they ALWAYS become bloated behemoths. Then any chance of them to be sporting is lost. Why they can't take a lightweight platform, add a trimmed-down stylish body, keep the interior mostly manually operated but very functional, give the steering nice feel, bolt on a set of killer brakes, and fit a potent motor between the frame rails is beyond me.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

That is an entirely different topic and market than the Thunderbird ever was...

Besides the latest 2 seat T-bird was not in the same room let alone group as the Corvette and Viper. Ford GT

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

The Mustang platform has not always been exclusive and it wouldn't bother me if they used it as the basis for a wagon. Just don't make it look like a stretched Mustang with two extra doors. The Mustang is a pony car and it should stay that way, IMO.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

"My Name Is Nobody" wrote in news:NrqTi.11763$na2.7081@trndny08:

The Mustang II started life on a Pinto chassis and morphed into its own unique self after much factory rework.

1) I didn't make the suggestion.

2) The Mustang II was a far worse mortal sin to Mustang heritage than any Mustang 4-door or wagon.

I'm not lobbying for anything except performance vehicles. 4 doors, wagon, hatch, convertible, you name it. If it performs, then I'm for it.

If you want to label the Mustang II as a pony car, then go for it. But that's even more retarded than your other examples.

Actually, no. But I never had that thought.

So who's holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy this vehicle that doesn't even exist?

Reply to
Joe

Michael Johnson wrote in news:0uydnZxILKvAwYPanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Michael, I basically agree with you. But I can definitely see a slot for a Ford 4-door vehicle to go head to head with the Charger, Magnum,

300, and the up-and-coming G8. If you don't want to call it a Mustang, that's great. Call it something else. I really don't care what it's called.

I haven't seen a contemporary 2-door Camaro yet, so I'll reserve judgement on that. The CTS-V is a 4-door Corvette, whether you like it or not. :)

The Cayenne is arguably a 4-door performance Porsche. Let's also take a look at MB, BMW, Audi, Acura, etc. They all have 4-door performance vehicles that will kick major ass.

As for the Miata, well, that's a weenie car with RWD. Stuff a 350hp V8 in it and that's another story...

Reply to
Joe

Michael Johnson wrote in news:gu2dnS7pledDBIPanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Now that you mention it, the whole Fox line back in the '80s had your 4- door and wagon Mustangs. They were called LTDs and Fairmonts. What's in a name?

Reply to
Joe

They shouldn't take the only decent two door four seater they have and turn it into a low volume two seater. It is bad for business and just one in a long list of screw ups they have done in the last 10-15 years. If they want to compete with the Vette and Viper then they had the perfect car in the two seat, V-10 Cobra. Remember that car? It was an ass kicker. When the average Joe thinks of the T-Bird they don't imagine a Vette beater. Ford needs a popular two door, four seat coupe far worse than a low volume, two seat luxury car.

V-10 Cobra

Where Ford missed a great opportunity, IMO, was a good redesign for the next generation four seat T-Bird which would have involved a serious diet. Had they done it right, or even marginally right, we would have bought one when the '94 got totaled. We still bought a Mercury Sable (a good car for what it is) but it wasn't a purchase we were thrilled with and we had literally one day to decide what to buy. The really sad thing is that Ford didn't have anything better than a Sable/Taurus to offer us. Had there been a four seat T-bird available, I'm 95% sure it would be sitting in the driveway right now.

The T-Bird we had was actually a good performer considering its weight. It had decent pickup, steering was decent (thanks to no FWD), and actually cornered well with the stock skinny tires. It really wouldn't have taken much for Ford to make a very good coupe. IMO, the bones for one was already there.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

I have no issue with Ford using the Mustang chassis for other vehicles. Just don't leech off the Mustang for styling cues and name recognition.

But it also isn't marketed as a Corvette variant.

Did I get an answer? ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson

When it comes to the Mustang, everything. What would you rather have sitting in your driveway? A Granada, LTD, Fairmont or a Mustang?

Reply to
Michael Johnson

By comparison, it was a pansy ass. I would rather have a Miata than that T-Bird.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Rent the Transformers DVD. It's in there.

Reply to
John

A Mustang, which I have. I'd like a Mustang station wagon and I'd sell my beater, otherwise I'll have to buy a SuperCrew and keep the beater. Come on Ford, a little help here!

Reply to
John

Over the years, couldn't you get the Falcon in a coupe, sedan, station wagon, and a ranchero (or was that a pre-ranchero)? I don't think I ever saw a convertible though.

Reply to
John