Re: The Mustang's Next V6?

If horsepower is becoming the new mantra, where are the higher numbers for the V8?

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Ford V-6 engine to be built in Ohio > > New production gives automaker shot at lead in horsepower > > By Mark Truby / The Detroit News > > DEARBORN -- Ford Motor Co. will announce plans today to build a > sophisticated new V-6 engine, a move that could give the company a > fighting chance in the battle for horsepower supremacy. > > The all-aluminum 3.5-liter V-6 engine -- which has been delayed at > least twice -- is set to go into production at Ford's engine plant in > Lima, Ohio, in late 2005. The plant could produce up to 300,000 of the > new engines a year. > > More details will be announced at a ceremony today at the Lima

plant,

company spokesman Joe Koenig said. Ford would not disclose how much it > will invest to produce the new engine, but the total investment could > reach hundreds of millions of dollars. > > The new production line is not expected to create a significant number > of new jobs at the factory, which employs 1,600. > > The engine fills a glaring gap in Ford's product arsenal -- a > high-powered V-6 engine for mid-size vehicles across the Ford,

Lincoln

and Mercury brands. > > "Horsepower is becoming the new mantra," said Michael Robinet, an > analyst with CSM Worldwide who tracks automakers' production plans. > "This move is all about keeping pace in horsepower wars." > > NoOp Comment: Got to love it when you hear the manufacturers say > this!! > > Japanese automakers, including Nissan Motor Co., Toyota Motor Co.p., > and Honda Motor Co., are on the leading edge of a movement to

produce

engines that produce more horsepower without sacrificing fuel

economy.

> Nissan's 3.5-liter V-6 engine -- which powers the Altima and Maxima > sedans, the 350Z sports coupe and the Murano sport wagon -- can > generate up to 280 horsepower. > > NoOp comment: Okay, so if the normally-aspirated V6s are pumping out > 280 HP, how much should the V8s be packing? I'd say at least 350, > before they add some pressure. So that means _at least_ 450-475 HP > with a puffer. > > Honda's 3.5-liter engine, produced down the road from Lima in Anna, > Ohio, also has struck a chord with American buyers of Accord sedans > and Pilot sport utility vehicles. > > The new Ford engine, which will be named Duratec, will feature a > double overhead cam and variable valve timing. > > NoOp Comment: That's what they call their current V6, don't they? I > say a new engine needs a new name. > > Ford is likely to offer the engine in a number of sedans and

crossover

vehicles. The new Five Hundred sedan and Freestyle crossover, for > example, will debut next year equipped with Ford's 3.0-liter V-6 > engine, which can produce 200 horsepower. In 2006, though, Ford is > expected to offer the vehicles with the new 3.5-liter Duratec. > > NoOp comment: Why do the "domestics" always do this? Why can't they > debut a new vehicle with a new engine. It seems the new platforms > always use an older engine for the first year or so of production. > > The new engine will also be integral to Ford's plans to build up to 10 > mid-size cars and crossovers, including the Ford Futura, off the basic > chassis of the Mazda6 sedan. > > "A high-tech, high-horsepower engine is really becoming the price of > entry for mid-size cars," said George Peterson, president of > AutoPacific, an automotive marketing firm. "The Japanese have been > raising the bar." > > NoOp comment: I say the "domestics" need to be the ones raising the > bar, instead of just trying to clear the bar. > > Ford's board of directors signed off on the new engine line last week > during a regular meeting in Dearborn. The automaker received state and > local tax breaks to invest in the Lima plant. Local officials passed a > memorandum of understanding last month agreeing to forgo tax > collections on the new engine line if Ford agreed to donate 40

percent

of the tax to the local school district, according to Ohio and Ford > officials. > > Patrick > '93 Cobra > '83 LTD
Reply to
Joe

totally with you on this one. it needs to be ford's import fighter. power, reliability, competitive nvh....in short, it needs to out-honda honda. . tim

95 mustang gt 5spd
Reply to
Rosco1211

Good luck. Without at least 4 values per cylinder and variable valve timing, they don't have a hope in Hell. In fact, they don't have a hope anyway. Honda has spent the the last 10 years working on the assumption that normally aspirated small engines can produce high power and be reliable. Ford will take years to catch up and the question is, why would they do that? There is some evidence that GM killed the Trans Am and Camaro in part due to them coming too close to the much more expensive Vette in power and performance. Why would Ford work on a high powered (now normal in the rest of the automotive world) V6 and threaten the V8 mistique of the Mustang GT, Cobra? Unless they were going to do away with the V8 or put the V6 in a much more expensive "luxo-sportscar."

-Rich

Reply to
rander3127

IMO, the 4.7 V8 should have at least 350 normally aspirated horsepower. But what are you willing to pay?

-Rich

Reply to
rander3127

Right under the burden of CAFE.

Reply to
Mike King

snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com wrote in news:kalbhvs6i86hpbmeuatn58h2hdbfaro5h9 @4ax.com:

numbers

Right now, not much. Just bought a new truck late last year.

Joe

Umm... the article said Ford's new V6 would have double over head cams and variable vale timing.

No, the question is why wouldn't they want to catch up.

That was _not_ the Trans Am's and Camaro Z/28's problem. The problem with those two cars was their god-awful raked windshield rake, poor interior space, and being a "clunky car."

Their only positve side was their awesome drivetrain, minus the weak rear axle.

Both motors could easily be tweaked push more horsepower. The Cobra's mill severely restricted on the intake side and somewhat restricted on the exhaust side. Then switching to a better blower it would easily pump out over 500 HP. The GT's SOHC could also be tweaked for more power. Better heads, better intake, and i'm sure Ford could bump it up to 350 or so.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
Patrick

Don't forget the ton's of SUV's also being sold, they drag the CAFE down allot. Remember, V6 buyers are also interested in horse power and wouldn't want to buy a 100 horse 40 mpg V6. It takes a similar amount of fuel to produce 260 horses in a V8 or a V6 but the V8 has a higher average horse power and will use more fuel. Ford needs to balance its CAFE across all the models, from the Focus SE 2.4L at 27/36 mpg to the Expedition XLT 4.6L at

14/19 mpg. The Cobra R was not considered in CAFE, there was a $3000 gas guzzler tax on the window sticker. I didn't know this until I was just looking up mpg numbers but the Excursion is not required mpg ratings due to it's size and is exempt from CAFE. I'd hate to see what would happen if it were to be included, I ain't buyin' no 100 horse 40 mpg V6.

-- Mike King Black 2000 Spring Feature GT Steeda Tri-Ax and K&N "Member Since 96" .

Reply to
Mike King

Reply to
Kirby

opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

BULLSHIT! It died because they "forgot" they had to target the base-buyer market. Instead they had that stupid "phantom commercial" and made it look like the BatMobile III..in case of TransAm - and a Cavalier on steroids in case of the Camaro.

IOW, No 23 y.o. Secretaries wanted them.

Next time you want to diss the Fox 2.3 or the current v6 just remember that!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Mike King opined in news:bf5amh$al7pe$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-185605.news.uni-berlin.de:

When did they start counting trucks... SUV's?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

You're just going to have to send it to the crusher, it's not up to today's specs...

Reply to
Mike King

I guess it depends on weight, the Excursion was the only one I found to be CAFE exempt.

Reply to
Mike King