Re: underdrive pulley on 96 GT - advice

Hey folx -

> > I'm thinking about ordering the underdrive pulley kit from
> > I'm just wanting a second opinion from you out there who have tried this: > > They say I'll see about 8-10 RWHP gain and here is what they said about > power drain: > "Underdrive pulleys will affect charging but only at > idle and it is usually not a problem unless you have added electronics and > or a large stereo system in which case a higher output alternator will > benefit you anyway and resolve any charging problem. The A/C will not be > affected nor will anything else" > > When they say a higher output alternator will benefit me anyway, what do > they mean by this?

The stock alternator is decent compared to the alternators on the pre-'96 cars. You shouldn't have any charging or cooling problems as long as those systems aren't already degraded. On another note...you won't notice a difference with the pullies. Your butt cannot discern a 5 rwhp difference. Shoot...you can barely see it on a track over a quarter mile (~0.5 mph increase). If you need to spend that much money for something, you'd be better off with the timing adjuster. That one makes torque you can feel.

Thanks!

No problem.

Scotter > 96 Mustang GT Convertible > K&N Air Filter and 3:73 Gears
Reply to
Keith

Thanks, Keith! I'll create another thread asking about timing adjusters :)

The stock alternator is decent compared to the alternators on the pre-'96 cars. You shouldn't have any charging or cooling problems as long as those systems aren't already degraded. On another note...you won't notice a difference with the pullies. Your butt cannot discern a 5 rwhp difference. Shoot...you can barely see it on a track over a quarter mile (~0.5 mph increase). If you need to spend that much money for something, you'd be better off with the timing adjuster. That one makes torque you can feel.

No problem.

Reply to
Scotter