Recommended carb

I have a 1972 Ford Mustang fastback with a 351C-4V Cleveland, 4-speed manual with a Hurst shifter, and an Autolite 4300D 4bbl carb (D2ZF-AA) (I don't know the cfm rating). It currently has stock intake manifold and cam, but I plan to eventually upgrade it performance. I was thinking about either having the 4300D carb rebuilt by Pony Carbs or replacing it with a Holley or something else. Any suggestions? Also, does anyone know what the cfm rating is for the Autolite 4300D (D2ZF-AA) with 1.25in venturi? Thanks....

Reply to
Joe

(D2ZF-AA)

manifold

Also,

I have a 625 cfm Edelbrock on my '70 Cougar 351C-2v. Five years old and it's always worked great.

I don't know the cfm of your carb for sure, but I've seen references in the magazines to 450-500 cfm or so.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

You should *at least* be using a 600 CFM rated carb - preferably a 650 CFM rated carb.

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C featuring a 750 CFM Holley double pumper @

Grover C. McCoury III

4-speed

(D2ZF-AA)

manifold

Are there any intake/carb combinations that are emissions legal? My state (Illinois) is strict with this stuff.

Reply to
Joe

look for a 735cfm holley that came on 428cj, bell shaped primary venturi boosters gives carb, injector-like throttle response.

Reply to
big-spud

The 4300D was the spread bore version (much larger secondary throttle bore diameter compared to the primary) and rated at 715 CFM. The Autolite (D2ZF-AA) engine application was the 351CJ-4V (Q-code) Cleveland w/manual trans for model year 1972...HTH

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R