Carb choice for R2 engine?

I know a lot of people have had good results using the 600 CFM Edelbrock carb on normally-aspirated 289s, although a 500 CFM is plenty adequate, and that's what I run in my GT, and I'm happy with it.

Now I'm in the process of acquiring an R2 Avanti, minus supercharger and bonnet, but the rest of the R2 stuff is there. I have a Paxton on the shelf.

I'm trying to decide between using 500 CFM or 600 CFM Edelbrock carbs. The latter are currently on sale in Edmonton at an attractive price. Whichever carb I use, it will go in an R3-style pressure box, or some facsimile thereof. I don't want to mess with a "sealed: carb. If I can get a deal on a Lionel Stone repop pressure box, I'll use it, otherwise I'll go into full CASO mode. My objective is a nice driver, not a full-on R3 clone.

What's the consensus here regarding the carb choice?

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Gord I have built 3 289s and used r3 valves and for these I used the 600. I have built several stock 289 and used 500 &600 but by the seat of the paints the

Reply to
studeblu

will go in

a "sealed:

If it were me, I'd stick with the 500 cfm carb. Especially since it's a driver which I admire.

Fact is that with non "R" series engines, a nice 2bbl is all you really need for a driver as in my '55 Prez sedan or the Power Hawk.

BTW, nice to see you here and stick around a bit, ok?

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire