door window hard to move on 1965 coupe

I have a lot of trouble rolling the driver's side door window up and down on my '65 coupe (3 speed, 200 cu in engine). Every once in a while it will roll easily, but most of the time it won't I've taken the door apart a couple of times and adjusted the tilt of the vent window assembly, the tilt of the main glass assembly, and the equalizer arm. I've also greased the rails and rollers. (As an aside, is it better to use white lithium grease, general purpose grease, or something else?).

Despite all this fiddling around I can't get the window to move easily. One thing I have not messed with is the window regular assembly itself. I've thought of replacing it but I keep thinking that there are so many other things (like the things above) that play a role here that I would be surprised if the regular itself is causing the problem. There is some wobble to the "stem" of the assembly that the handle attaches to, but I've also noticed some wobble on the stem on the passenger side and that window generally moves pretty easily.

So, I guess what I'm asking is what are the most likely causes for the window being hard to roll. Is it the case that it is a real art to adjusting all the components just right?

Thanks.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Catrambone

Dirt (old nasty grease in the rails) and worn out rollers were the culprits for my '65.

I'd disconnect the major components from one another and see which is the weak link.

When I transferred the door components to a new door shell, "precise" alignment wasn't really needed..the tolerances have enough jiggle room to compensate...just use common sense and band-aids for the scraped knuckles.

Hava Goodun

DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

Thanks for the response. I'll try to remove the components and give them a good inspection, cleaning, and greasing.

Reply to
Richard Catrambone

It's the regulator. Trust me. Replace them both.

Reply to
Mark C.

Well, I've taken everything out of the door. Nothing looks too dinged up. I guess I'll go ahead and replace the regulator and the rollers and grease up everything really well. One thing I did notice is that the coating or fabric or whatever in the side rail--if that is the name; the part in which the non-hinge facing side of the window rides in--is dinged up in various spots. I wonder if that could also be a source of the problem. If it is, is there some sort of teflon coating or whatever I could spray in there or do I just need to replace it?

Finally, the scissors mechanism connected to the regulator mechanism looks okay. Again though, given that I have everything out, I wonder if it is worth replacing...

Thanks,

Richard

Reply to
Richard Catrambone