Refilling a T5 while it's in the car ??

What's the easiest method to install ATF in a T5 ??

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, some kind of Wildassed Cam (??), HyperTech Chip, 68.5" Short belt for Smog and P/S DELETE, 73mm Police Interceptor Front calipers w/PFC pads, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings, Steeda TriAx Shifter and soon to be installed 88 TurboCoupe Disc brake rear-end w/3.55s.
Reply to
Katmandu

It's got a drain plug & fill plug. Drain the fluid... put in new fluid.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I pull the shifter out myself.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Yup. MUCH easier than trying to fill a hole that it up high on the tranny. Shifter is a breeze to R&R.

Mike

Reply to
TurboMike

Thanks. I'll probably go that route. :>)

Oh BTW, how many pints does a T5 take ??

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

I use a pump from a bottle of Sta-Lube rear end oil and a length of clear hose. Be sure to use ATF in it. It goes in fast and easy.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I have a suction pump with a long hose to pump fluid into the fill hole. Keep pumping it in until it starts to leak back out a touch. Not really all that difficult, and if I spill any, it goes on the pavement and not on my carpet. I think the T-5 takes about 2.5 quarts.

Jason S.

Reply to
Jason S

you'll need to buy 3 quarts, It takes more than 2,less than 3, I reccomend mobile 1 syn. atf fluid if it's a 85 or later model T5, pre

85 non world class T5's use heavy gear lube.
Reply to
winze

I use an old gear oil bottle top [with the point]. fits right on the trans fluid bottle. with about 5ft of 3/8 vacume line & fill it from up top under the hood

Jeff

orangespawn50

Put it on ramps. Purchase a cheap garden sprayer and hacksaw off the adjustable end. Use a tubing bender to bend a hook in the end. Put the fluid in the sprayer and charge it then hook the bent tube into the fill hole on the trans and squeeeeeze.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Reply to
kman

That sounds easier that taking out my shifter (again).

Reply to
Katmandu