Plastic Vert rear windows ??

I know glass is better (and also much more expensive), but how well do plastic windows hold up ??

__________________

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert HyperTech Chip, 68.5" Short belt for Smog and P/S DELETE, 73mm Police Interceptor Front calipers w/PFC pads, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.Retired USAF
Reply to
Katmandu

Depends. If you put the top down frequently the plastic *will* cloud up. There are treatments and solutions to help but it will eventually get cloudy. An alternative that my father-in-law did on his '63 Falcon 'vert was to install a zippered plastic window. It doesn't cost nearly as much as a glass window and he would unzip the window and protect it when he put the top down. That window looked like new year later :). . Dan

2003 Cobra convertible With some stuff and things
Reply to
Dan

What clouds up plastic windows ?? Scratches ??

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

I thought you were replacing a top. If the original had glass you don't need to replace it as the panel is separate from the main top.

Reply to
Richard

I'm replacing the Top and the curtain (which includes the glass).

My top was damaged by the tree limb and my curtain has some damage along the seams right below the window.

A glass window is about $200 more expensive than a plastic window.

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

I believe it is UV that is the culprit. Get the glass. Plastic not only yellows and clouds, it cracks and limits visibility. Any wiping of the plastic windows with a wee bit of dust will cause scratching. They're just a mess.

A minor modificatin of an old saying: If you cannot afford to do it right the first time, how will you be able afford to do it over again?

This is where I bought my last cloth top. It was for the GT. The car was killed the day after it arrived, but the top and the window were affordable, and looked to be great condition.

guy gave me excellent service too. The tops, when installed by a pro, were warrantied for 5 years (of course, on a sliding scale)For MY year model, top and defroster glass window... $359\
Kate

| > -- | > Richard | >

| > '94 GT 'vert | > Under Drive Pulleys | > Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit | > High Stall Torque Converter | > 4:10 Gears | > Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded) | > FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft | > FRPP M5400-A Suspension | > Laser Red | >

| > > __________________ | > > -ERIC | > >

| > > 89 5.0 LX Vert HyperTech Chip, 68.5" Short belt for Smog and P/S DELETE, | > > 73mm Police Interceptor Front calipers w/PFC pads, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK | 2.5" | > > O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK | Strut | > > Tower Brace, Poly bushings.Retired USAF | > >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

OH! And , on his site, it's more clear, the CLOTH is in fact the Stayfast Canvas. Nice fabric too :)

Kate

| > -- | > Richard | >

| > '94 GT 'vert | > Under Drive Pulleys | > Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit | > High Stall Torque Converter | > 4:10 Gears | > Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded) | > FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft | > FRPP M5400-A Suspension | > Laser Red | >

| > > 89 5.0 LX Vert HyperTech Chip, 68.5" Short belt for Smog and P/S DELETE, | > > 73mm Police Interceptor Front calipers w/PFC pads, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK | 2.5" | > > O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK | Strut | > > Tower Brace, Poly bushings.Retired USAF | > >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

If you have a glass rear window that is in good shape they can dye the vynal to make it look new. Stay with glass or after a year you will be kicking yourself.

Hooked

Reply to
Hooked 87