Refurbishing CA license plates?/68 steering wheel on a 67?

I have a '67 with the original gold-on-black California license plates. Of course, they show their age. Does anybody have any info on technique (and legality) of refurbishing license plates?

Also, I need to replace the old, cracked, grungy steering wheel. I really don't care for that foam-plastic "booby," though, and I'd like to put in a '68 wheel instead. I've been told that a '68 steering wheel won't go on a '67 steering column, though no one could tell me exactly why. Could someone explain this in detail, and if there's some way to adapt it? If I got a '68 wheel and column, would they work on a '67 gear box? (I *really* don't like the '67 booby.)

TIA

Reply to
Emil Hoff

If they're straight but just have worn paint and such, you could go ahead and strip them by using muriatic acid (swimming pool acid). That would take the paint off, and then you could relaquer them. Personally, I'd simply have a duplicate set made up from one of the license plate manufacturers. Technically illegal, tho, but who would know?

I don't know what a 67 wheel would not work on a 68 column or gearbox but maybe someone knows something i don't on that

Reply to
vince garcia

In California, the license plate manufacturers are inmates in the state prison system...

;-)

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

was recommended in the big block group once. Seems like quality work, and I can't see how making a license plate _more_legible_ without altering it's original appearance would be illegal... :)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Reply to
Rick Olive

I've used a guy who does business as Mojo Art Works. One warning, though, is to run a plastic cover on the front. My front plate was trashed beyond belief on its maiden voyage, a 5000 mile sprint through

11 western states and two provinces.

180 Out

Reply to
one80out