Corolla steering wheel freeplay

I have a 94 Corolla, 150k mi. I recently noticed alot of freeplay in my steering wheel that was non existent when i got the car (3k mi.ago). I can turn the steering wheel about two inches to the right or left without the tires moving. This is especially evident the faster I drive and on bumpy roads.

Got it checked out and the mechanic said a leak in my power steering hose is dripping on the rack and pinion causing the freeplay in the steering wheel. The mechanic charged me $57 for the power steering hose and $60 for labor to replace it and told me to get the rack and pinion cleaned at a detail shop and that it would improve the problem. Even though the mechanic said the condition of the bushings looked good, he still said it would be a good idea to take them off and clean the inner part of the rubber but added that it would be best to replace them because the leakage could have make them weaker.

In retrospect,the power steering fluid wouldn't even mark on the meter of the power steering cap when I bought it, 3k mi ago. I added fluid

3k mi. ago and the level is still full.

Anybody have any advice on what to do? Is this a good mechanic?

Thanx in Advance, Miguel C.

Reply to
Miguel C

Their explanation sounds a tad odd - I think this is generally either due to worn tie-rod ends, or some kind of wear within the steering rack itself..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Check your tie rod ends. Even if they were good 3000 miles ago they can still be bad now.

Reply to
Childfree Scott