removal of small speaker at top of door panel?

My Haynes manual does not show it... how do you access the small stereo speaker that is located at the TOP of the door panel? One of them is rattling and distorting pretty bad (and I never turn the volume up too high), so I'd like to open it up and see what's going on. The case or speaker is either loose and rattling bad, and the speaker may be blown. I never cranked the volume, so... not sure why this would be damaged. Before I need to go back to the dealer yet again, I'd like to take a look at it myself... so if anyone knows a trick to opening that small speaker case to access the speaker, I'd appreciate it. If the speaker is indeed blown, I might opt to just swap in a new compatible aftermarket speaker (in both sides) just to avoid having to deal with the dealer again. These upper door panel speakers seem to be very small... just tiny tweeters perhaps... can't be too expensive, even for good ones. Thanks.

Reply to
GT-Vert-03

The two halves of the tweeter pod just snap together. You can carefully pull the cover off and snap it back together.

Reply to
Mike King

---------------

Excellent - thanks!

Reply to
GT-Vert-03

I tried to get it off once. Chiltons manual said pull on it. I pulled... pulled more... pulled s'more.. pulled.. tugged to my heart's content & couldn't get that mfer off. So.. I let it rattle. :P

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

Just take a small standard screw driver and pry the grille off of the speaker pod, working from the frontmost corner. There is an indentation up there that will accomdate the screwdriver and allow you to pry the grille loose without damaging anything.

The Mach460 tweeter pods are easily re-used for aftermarket installations. I've got some pics on my web page showing how I did this on my car. ;-)

Enjoy.

Reply to
Tungsten

Hope that helps.