Freelander Audio System

Hello All,

I have found an interesting problem with the freelander (yet another one).

If I fade all the audio to the front, I appear too loose all the bass,

Fade it to the back bass comes back.

Now the rave wiring diagram shows the tweeters to be seperate from the door speaker. So it appears that the door speakers are not working.

What would cause both front speaker not to work other than a faulty head unit?

Anyone??

Many thanks

Vert

P.S. I still haven;t gotten to the bottom of the strange from tyre wear yet, will you all know if I ever find the issue.

Reply to
Vertuas

Are you sure that the front speakers are really NOT working? If they are connected out of phase with + and - connection reversed on one of the speakers at the front this would cause the apparent loss of bass as one effectively cancels out the other. It doesn't matter which way round + and - are connected as long as all speakers are the same.

Gaz

Reply to
Gaz

HI Gaz

Thanks for reply.

I had the door panel to sort the window motor out about 5 months ago, I wonder is I have connected a speaker the wrong way around.

Do the same apply to both the door speakers and the tweeters?

Now that you mention it I seen to remember that the terminals are not marked! hmmmmmmm

I need to get the panel off again once i have a new window motor (yeah still not fixed it, its a pain on the dartford crossing open the door to throw the coins in) so will check it then.

Reply to
Vertuas

HI Gaz

I have just been out and checked.

I put the Fade to the front, And listened to each speaker......nothing except the tweeters.

Also looked through the grill and there is no movement,

Thinking about it the tweeters a re wired in parallel to the

Reply to
Vertuas

HI Gaz

I have just been out and checked. I put the Fade to the front, And listened to each speaker......nothing except the tweeters.

Also looked through the grill and there is no movement,

Thinking about it the tweeters are wired in parallel to the door speaker, according to rave, so the head unit must be outputing to audio, for the tweeters to work.

Hmmm.....2 new speakers it would appear.

Does anyone know what resistence they are? 8 ohm 15 ohm, so i don;t have to strip the door to find out?

Reply to
Vertuas

There should be a crossover somewhere to only send the high frequencies to the tweeters - it may be that the crossovers are borked.

Reply to
EMB

There is no crossover shown on the RAVE schematic so most likely the tweeters have a built-in HF filter. As the tweeters are in parallel with the main speaker it must be either knackered speakers or the connection. Maybe the speakers have got wet at some time, doesn't do them any good and not uncommon.

Gaz

Reply to
Gaz

if its the same idea as the old RRC system the filters/Xover are components built onto the speakers hence no mention in RAVE. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Built in LF filter. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ah, well done that man, just testing to make sure you were paying attention ;-)

Gaz

Reply to
Gaz

Tweeters and mid/woofers are wired in parallel. There is no crossover - the tweeters are capacitively coupled into the audio system which forms a high-pass filter to drive the tweeter. You should find the terminals on the rear of the speakers either in a plastic shroud or of different size - so there should be no way of connecting them out-of-phase.

Car audio systems measure 4 ohms. This is true for 99% of applications - that's how they get the higher power output from the amp - driving into a lower impedance load.

If you measure the cabling from head unit to the front doors - you'll be measuring the mid/woofer - your multimeter should not read the tweeter because the capacitor blocks the DC.

Clear as mud?

cheers, Craig.

Reply to
Craig