New Sienna CE 06 - Have questions.

  1. How do I disconnect the close door buzzer - the indicator light is enough for me? Any downside to doing this?

  1. No place in the Owners Manual dos it mention about any problem overfilling the gas tank. Is it?

  2. In the manual it says one can use plain water for the windshield washer. Is that a good thing? Is there any problem with overfilling it - it does have a nice riser tube.

Regards, joe

Reply to
joe

Most buzzers are merely plug-in devices that can just be pulled out of the socket.

If you often overfill the gas tank, not only are you spilling fuel with the associated environmental problems, there is a slim chance that you can saturate the charcoal canister.

Plain water is not as effective at cleaning the windshield as windshield washer fluid and plain water will freeze in winter so you have to remember to add windshield washer fluid before it gets cold. The problem with overfilling windshield washer fluid is that it can ruin the paint where it overflows. I believe that the windshield washer reservoir will hold a gallon so you really have to add a lot to overfill the reservoir.

Reply to
Ray O

Windshield wiper fluid that doesn't get diluted should not be capable of damaging paint. After all, it ends up on your car paint after being wiped off your windshield.

Reply to
Art

The windshield washer fluid that is wiped off of the windshield generally gets dispersed and so it doesn't really damage paint. Washer fluid that is spilled near the washer fluid reservoir tends to pool and when it dries, it leaves a crusty blue stain on the paint. It is not as unsightly under the hood as it would be on the outer body, but nevertheless, all one has to do to avoiod the problem is to not overfill the washer fluid reservoir.

Reply to
Ray O

Your engine compartment is probably cleaner than the outside of my car........

Reply to
Art

Thanks - do 'we' know where that buzzer is located? Is it on the end of a wire or on a circuit board with a lot of other 'salad'? Under the hood or ??

Reply to
joe

So one is just to stop filling at the automatic pump handle shut-off. And not go to the nearest $10 after that. j

Reply to
joe

I would definitely not go to the nearest $10 after the pump handle shuts off. I would just go to the nearest 5 or 10 cents.

Reply to
Ray O

I do not know where the buzzer is located. The best way to find it is to activate it and stick your head under the dashboard and use your fingers to feel for the buzzing device.

I just thought of a possible downside, and that is the the auto door unlock feature if you leave your key in the ignition may not work. This device automatically prevents the power door locks from working if the engine if off and the key is in the ignition.

Reply to
Ray O

Open the door, let it buzz, and look under the dash.

Reply to
nospampls2002

The engine compartments of our cars are not pristine by any means. They are pretty dusty, but I always wipe off spills so that any leaks and the sources of those leaks will be evident right away. I fill the washer fluid until the fluid touches the bottom of the basket screen - a few extra ounces to fill it to the brim and spill over serves no purpose. The other fluid reservoirs under the hood all have markings to indicate when the proper fluid level is reached. I coat the battery terminals with a spray made for that purpose so you do not get the acid buildup on the posts and clamps. BTW, it is not actually the posts that weep acid; it is the space between the battery case and posts that allows the acid fumes to escape so spraying enough to coat that gap or using one of those treated felt washers that you place under the clamp will help prevent the acid buildup on the posts.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks. I was kidding about the high cost of gas.

joe

In a previous life I believe I remember seeing the washer container with a 'thick' jell in the bottom half of the tank.

Is any old fluid at the store OK these days? Or are specific brands needed?

So one need special tools and/or knowledge to repair or clean the washer system? (per manual)

joe

Reply to
joe

T may have me fooled. It appears that the buzzer is generated and then sent to the speaker for the radio and CD. Could this be? If not it sure is packed in there way up under at the center under the dash.

I just wanted to be able to use the radio etc. with the engine off and a door open without the buzzer. Perhaps the only possible way is to have a window open .

joe

Reply to
joe

While there may be differences between brands of windshield washer fluid, I just buy the cheapest stuff I can find. You can sometimes find it on sale in the late spring and early summer for 99 cents a gallon, I buy a case at that price.

I don't think there was any reference to repair or cleaning the windshield washer system in the owner's manual and they normally do not need routine service. If you fill the reservoir with tap water, you run the risk of it freezing and cracking the washer fluid reservoir. You can also dilute the washer fluid with water during the summer and go back to full strength in the winter. Washer fluid is inexpensive enough that I always use it full strength and then I don't have to worry about it freezing.

These days, the washer fluid reservoir on Toyotas is pretty concealed with only the filler neck visible, and to be honest, I've never inspected the bottom of the washer fluid reservoir to see what is down there. Servicing windshield washer reservoirs is probably a hassle because you have to disassemble quite a bit to get at the reservoir. .

Reply to
Ray O

Page 181 "If a nozzle becomes blocked, do not try to clear it with a pin pr other object. The nozzle will be damaged."

What give?

and they normally do not need routine

Reply to
joe

The nozzle is on the hood, not in the reservoir. I've never run across a blocked nozzle other than from being frozen. If a nozzle were to become blocked from a foreign object, I'd try compressed air.

Reply to
Ray O

My rear window may need that treatment because it does not spray a nice pattern as on the front windows. Or is this how it is supposed to be? joe

Reply to
joe

The rear window nozzle is more of a dribble on the window than a mist pattern, probably due to the length of the line required to reach from the front to the rear of the vehicle.

Reply to
Ray O

Thought it could be the case. Glad I asked. Thanks, Joe

Reply to
joe