95 GT still can't figure it out

The EEC keeps giving me codes:

177 and 176 (left O2 running LEAN and RICH) for quite a while. So I went ahead and replaced both O2's with Bosch's and I am still getting the same results (although when the car is running right, it feels a little smoother).

Code 311 (Thermactor air system inoperative - right) and 314 (Thermactor air system inoperative - left) Is this one the result of having removed all the smog setup?

trouble code references:

and Chiltonmanual

My problem: The car starts to stutter and bog down very badly as if it was not getting any gas at all. This happens anytime from morning commute to work or when the car is already warm. The only way I can get it to drive normal again is if I mash my petal at WOT, then suddenly the problem goes away instantly for a couple of minutes.....then the stutter/choking/bogging down comes back. The engine light does not always come on though, but it has a few times while the car is driving fine (perhaps using backup tables?).

The only way I can avoid all these problems is just unhooking both O2 sensors and driving like that. Then, the car will NEVER give me these problems at all. The TPS checks out fine, car feels strong as if normal. EEC appears to use it's backup maps (naturally with check engine on)

Anyone can give me any idea on what else to check for? I am going crazy and I am about to pull my hair out....

95 GT 5 speed BBK long tubes, o/r H and Bassani cat-back pullies gears everything else is stock
Reply to
RioRedGT

Sounds like the EGR isn't working properly and it might have something to do with the missing air pump. Sounds like unmetered air is getting into the engine or exhaust before the O2 sensors. Unhooking the O2 sensors forces the computer to use the tables and is not very efficient.

Reply to
Mike King

I forgot to mention code 117 also , Chilton says coolant sensor circuit grounded.

I have had no choice but to disconnect those O2's so I can drive. However, last night I unhooked the temp sensor and car ran great without it. The fan stays on at the high speed side with the engine light on....but the car is now not bucking nor chokin (with the Bosch o2's currently hooked up). I know I know, don't start disconnecting sensors cause it will trigger more codes or use back up tables (but what other choice do I have right now)

Do you guys think I should try buying a new ECT sensor?

Mike, I had this same setup on my 95 GTS before it was caught in a fire. It never gave me any codes when I removed the air pump. The egr is blocked off since Jegs sent me fox BBK long tubes instead of the 94-95 version. They are both the same except the fox doesn't have the egr tube welded in the passenger header. Also had this setup in the 95 GTS. No prob... Thanks for helping me out..

Reply to
RioRedGT

I Just installed a new ECT sensor and so far car is running as smooth as ice. I disconnected the battery for a while to let the codes erase. I am only hoping this fixed it for good. I replaced the o2's but those already had over 120K on them, so I don't feel bad replacing those that were not the problem.

Reply to
RioRedGT

Jason..

Glad to hear you got your car running again. I didn't get to look at this thread until now.

A shorted ECT would most definately cause all types of problems, as you noticed.

As for the O2 sensors, they are in fact a maintenance item and are scheduled to be changed every 50-60K miles. At 120K, they were well overdue. Over time, their ability to do their job is weakened and they are less accurate in providing the computer with the information it needs to have a proper air/fuel ratio.

JS

Reply to
JS

Thanks JS, it's been 2 days now, and no sign of any trouble. It was very tricky... How about a tip for those 94-95 (and maybe newer) if your car begins to overheat, disconnect the ECT sensor, the computer will let the fan run at high speed regardless of what temp (computer doesn't know).

The o2's were transferred from the 95 GTS while they were in the long tubes...I was switching everything over to the GT before the GTS was picked up by Allstate. I still miss that damn car. For some reason, that car drove much better than what I have now....the steering wheel was actually effortless to turn while this one I have now requires double the effort to make turns, etc.

snipped-for-privacy@tampabay.rr.com

Reply to
RioRedGT

at 22 Aug 2003, RioRedGT [ snipped-for-privacy@tampabay.rr.comNOSPAM] wrote in news:HoA1b.76592$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.tampabay.rr.com:

Same wheel size? Different tires? Have you checked the rack&pinion and powersteering? I remember when my R&P leaked and I had to have it replaced, Pony steered so much lighter afterwards...

BTW, did you get your odo fixed? I found a guy on corral.net who had one for sale for mine a little while back. If you are still looking for a replacement cluster and Tim can't help you out, post on the various boards at corral, mustangworld etc. :-)

Reply to
Paul

The cars looked like twins next to each other, same wheels and everything, even the faded out 94-95 tail lights. Unfortunately no cluster yet ;0( I'm not really after one right now since I am a little short in funds as I'm trying to get back into HCC and fix the major problems first on the car...next it needs shocks, front end bushings (lots of clunks), tire, discs/pads on all fours, etc.. ;0( I have no choice but to get me a part timer for the weekends for some extra $$$! All part of early manhood I guess =D

Have you been on Falkenburg infront of the police station lately? There's a car lot there and seems like they sell mostly performance cars. They have a sweet orange 87-93 LX, looks extremely clean, 5.0 hatchback. If you know anyone that is searching for one of those, they should check this one out.

Reply to
RioRedGT

at 26 Aug 2003, RioRedGT [ snipped-for-privacy@tampabay.rr.comNOSPAM] wrote in news:%uV2b.5910$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.tampabay.rr.com:

I come by there regularly (nwo that the RR xing is open again). They do have loads of performance cars. both domestic and foriegn. Quite a few Mustangs pop up there, both Fox and SN95 models. Not sure how reliable the place is though. There's a 'gold' SN95 (94-98) on Hillsborough between I275 and I75. Not my neck of the woods to buy a car tho. :-)

Reply to
Paul