'84 diesel rabbit still emitting white smoke after header gasket replaced

we just finished replacing the header gasket on my '84 diesel rabbit. it started right up and it seems to run OK. there's a little white smoke and it runs a little bit rough for the first few minutes after it starts up, but it's orders-of-magnitude better than it was before. periodically though, it hiccups, runs a little rough, and here comes the white smoke again. could this be a timing issue?

Reply to
Reid Fleming

Reid It sounds as if the injection pump is out of time. You need to get info on how to set the injection pump. It requires a special tools but if you are inventive you can improvise. Mike

Reply to
mdsimon

You could have a crack in the head or block that the head gasket would not correct. You did torque the bolts in the correct order and torque steps, I'm sure. Also, did you check the head and block deck for flatness? Could be warped. Sounds like you are going to do it again. Sorry. :o(

Reid It sounds as if the injection pump is out of time. You need to get info on how to set the injection pump. It requires a special tools but if you are inventive you can improvise. Mike

Reply to
631grant