Return Of Bullitt

Your the first person I heard of using that. How's it sounding for you? Any drop-outs (blank air)Are you close to a metro area? I figured they would have commercials, how can they make money?

Reply to
GILL

Michael Johnson wrote in news:OuOdnSGclceSaD3bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

HD Radio. Here's what I have in the Dak:

a few quirks, but I can easily live with them. All in all an awesome unit. One of the few with the HD tuner built in (most require an outboard HD unit). FM HD is about the same quality as a CD; AM HD is about the same quality as analog FM.

Get one - after a week you'll wonder how you got along without it.

Reply to
Joe

GILL wrote in news:-cmdnVmrp- OxiTzbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Sound is nothing short of awesome. I'm lucky because SoFla is pretty flat and I'm usually no more than 25 miles from any of the major outlets, so I almost always get great reception.

Once in a while I get drop-outs, and on the main stations the tuner just reverts back to analog. The only issue with that is if the station hasn't sync'd the digital side with the analog, you hear either a delay or a skip-ahead (digital is always several seconds behind analog to the ear). When the HD2 or HD3 stations drop off, it's pure silence as there's no analog counterpart.

AFAIK by law, the sub-stations (HD2 and HD3) aren't permitted to broadcast commercials yet. Who knows if/when that will change, but for now it's awesome. CD-quality, commercial-free, free radio 24/7. I figure they all think that if you're listening to their HD2 station you're not listening to the competition.

Here in SoFla almost all the major FMs are broadcasting in HD (unfortunately, the local classic rock outlet isn't HD because of a power issue so they say). About half the HDs have HD2 sub-channels. One has an HD3 which broadcasts 24/7 NOAA weather.

Here's the basic lowdown on all the HD2 commercial-free channels I can get:

2 classical 1 classic rock 1 80s 1 adult contemporary 1 country 1 dance 1 R&B oldies 1 hip-hop (not that I'd actually listen to that) plus a couple spanish...

And that's not to mention the "regular" HD1/analog stations.

Reply to
Joe

Wow! I'm going to have to get one for my Ranger, thanks Joe

Reply to
GILL

GILL wrote in news:E9adnf59s6mk3DzbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Joe

Looks like free shipping and all that I need to install it too! I guess when I get a job I'll get some new speakers too.

Reply to
GILL

Does this pick up regular FM station that broadcast in HD?

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Do you have a subscription to XM or Sirius? I have an XM receiver and a subscription.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

I have an idea! Why not have Brad Pit drive a green tricycle with a cool horn on the handle bars and chase bad guys riding skate boards. this would revive bullit and keep the environmentalists happy.

Reply to
Les Benn

Can anything make them happy?

Reply to
Michael Johnson

deservedly so.

The big record companies are going to only be what dies. They've tried to strangle the market with their bullshit playlists. And now it's bitting them in the ass.

Years and years ago, maybe. But over the last 20-30 years commercial radio has become a machine that creates it's own "stars/hit songs". Much like American idol. It isn't about creativity or talent, it's only about what markets well. Thankfully, the web and MP-3 players have come to the rescue. Now all you have to do is frequent the music blogs/sites and you'll find the truly innovative/creative artists. Then it's only a matter of buying the music that appeals to you and popping it in your MP3 player. Who needs commercial radio stations and their recycled garbage music and non-stop annoying commercials?

My recent favorites Andrew Bird "Armchair Apocrypha" Josh Ritter "Animal Years" Patty Griffin "Children Running Through" Electralane "No Shouts, No Calls" Johnny and the Moon "Green Rocky Road" The National "Boxer" & their previous CD "Alligator"

And you'll hear none of it on any of the "hit making" radio stations. And that's sad...

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Michael Johnson wrote in news:Q56dnVOuab7w8TzbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

No, and I don't want one. Call me what you will, but I'm not paying a monthly fee to watch TV or listen to radio. I get both HDTV and HD radio over the air for free.

Reply to
Joe

GILL wrote in news:UdmdnSsOh7Q- zzzbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

listening

channels.

Yeah, Crutchfield is great IMO. Their kit had everything for my Dak - installation was a breeze. For $200 you can't beat that unit.

Reply to
Joe

Michael Johnson wrote in news:Q56dnVCuab4m9jzbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The JVC picks up everything. You can set the scan for only digital, only analog, or both.

You know it. And unlike analog TV, the cleanest digital signal possible comes to you over the air. Cable and satellite digital can't possibly match the clarity.

Reply to
Joe

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@n60g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Exactly. That's where the "hits" are...

It's just the way things are. "Hits" are on "hit making" stations. Good music is on other stations. At home I'm listening to Internet radio a lot more than traditional OTA radio. A quality stream @ 128 or higher through a stereo sounds a _lot_ better than any FM (except HD). As for OTA, the HD2 stations are pretty cool (see 'Return of Bullit' thread).

Reply to
Joe