Return of the 928?

CAR magazine of the UK is reporting that Porsche is working on a new front engine-rear drive sports-touring car to be powered by a version of the Cayenne's 4.5 litre V8. If this is true, it'll be the first time since 1995 that Porsche has had anything to compete directly with cars like the Corvette. Initial projections show a base model with 350-400Hp and the possibility of a Turbo model. Between this (if it's true) and the upcoming 997 in mind, it's fair to assume that Porsche is getting serious about an all-new Boxster. The Boxster is still regarded as being the most "well-rounded" car of it's type, but increased competition from the BMW Z4 and an upcoming MB SLK replacement are applying pressure.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

This month's Road and Track did a short article on it as well as featured an early photo. I must admit, it did very look nice. The rear end had the sleek tapering lines that reminded me of a Jaguar XK8 coupe or Aston Martin. The nose was unmistakably Porsche, I knew it was a Porsche before I even read any of the text. With the 450hp V8, this new 2+2 could be a real killer. Way to go, Porsche.

Reply to
Paddington

Look here:

LH