Saleen bad news

Saleen's new owner, MJ Acquisitions, will not be honoring any outstanding warranties on Saleen Inc. products, services, or vehicles.

That's right, MJ Acquisitions recently sent a letter to all certified Saleen and Racecraft dealers stating that customers will have to pay for any repair costs because Saleen Inc. has ceased operations. It clearly states that, "MJ Acquisitions, Inc. is not responsible or obligated to cover warranties and/or any financial liabilities of Saleen, Inc." The bad news applies to all Saleen products sold prior to February 2, 2009.

That's bad news for the customers, but there is also bad news for the retailers. Saleen Inc. will also no longer be able to cover parts or labor on any vehicle with a Saleen warranty - including unsold vehicles currently sitting on showroom floors. This will certainly make those vehicles a lot harder to move.

MJ Acquisitions says in the letter that it feels sorry for the outcome and wants to reassure customers and retailers that the Saleen brand will continue.

Now, we can't see the future, but it's not a stretch to predict that Saleen might just fade away after this news. The Mustang community is a tight-knit one and trying to sell Saleen cars and car parts to that same customer base after this news could be damn-near impossible.

Davïd Greenville, NC

Ðavïd

i`m making this post with my dads saleen in mind. he bought a 2002 s-281 saleen convert with the sportster package. he truly loves his car but admits now it was overrated! price wise. he had a few problem with it and saleen did fix the problems. and i must say all problem where with saleen parts that were added to the car, when they got it from ford. and no problems with the ford factory parts. we found several short cuts and craftmanship saleen used on there body kits. very sad for the money they cost. he also said he would have bought a shelby instead if he knew back then they where going to make a gt500. MP

Reply to
Michael price

So, why did he sell? Did the company go under? Looks very bad on Steve.

Brad and Karen

Steve "retired" from Saleen Inc. back in 2007:

John S.

While I was never going to be a Saleen customer unless I hit the big lotto and probably not even then, I think they did their bit in promulgating the Mustang mystique.

In long term I dont think the warranty or lack of one will affect that market all that much, it will only bother those marginal customers' decisions. The new owners can adjust their offerings to reflect that, making all moving parts covered by Ford.

And if you really want everything warranted you likely werent gonna buy one in the first place. Good on Steve and all the good work he did, but everything has its time and place and Saleen would likely have faded out regardless of the economic atmosphere.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic