same OL' question, a couple months later...

What UP group (again!)...

I'm still in between "selling the car" or "keeping it, restoring" figured I would *try* once again to see If I can find a local shop to help on the later... I'd rather spend a somewhat obscene account of $$$ restoring this car rather than an obese obscene amount of $$$ on a new (used) car only to do the same THING... spend $$$, fix, spend more $$$$, fix, fix, fix again..

I'm looking for a local shop (orlando vicinity) by vicinity; I am willing to drive as far as miami (south) & jacksonville (north)...

For the moment, priority #1 is to: replace the TOP with a permanent hard-top structure. (PULL the entire convertible assembly) -or- (FIX broken peice(S) of convertible assembly, get new roof)... Basically: If I restore this car; I NEED to have a perm/semi-perm TOP on it!!!

If I can accomplish this task: too fin a local shop to work with me, I will have a LTR w/ ya! I'm just @ the point of saying "f$#k it! let it catch fire & burn" but If I find someone to work with me, I will be the best customer ya had!... and by that I mean, If I get this one

*thing* fixed, I would then invest in new paint job, rims, tires, interior (leather/vinyl upgrade), audio, euro-tail lights, engine, etc.... basically be one of those "ppl" who spend their entire paychecks on their car.

If not, I'm gonna drive it till it dies & buy some shitty Kia or hyndai (whatever I can afford at the time). I'd rather spend all that $$$ on this fox body than some japa' AS-SEEN-EVERY-SECOND-durring traffic ugly-ass-car...

~pauly

Reply to
--= PauLy =--

jesus, I should proofread b4 I post.

message regarding 91GT convertible.

----===| --= PauLy =-- |===---- /wrote:

would *try* once

spend a somewhat

of $$$ on a new

fix, fix again..

drive as far as

structure. (PULL

assembly, get new

have a LTR w/ ya!

find someone to

get this one

"ppl" who spend

(whatever I can afford

Reply to
--= PauLy =--

I used to do this kind of stuff. I would spend YEARS restoring a nice older car that I really liked, but needed huge amounts of work. The financial drain was enormous, and every weekend was filled with restorative work of some kind.

Toward the end, every damn time, it would either be stolen by some piss-ant thief, or some dork in a POS Honda would smash into it, turning all of that work into a $500 check from the Ins. Co.

What a colossal waste of time and money that was..for me. I'd love to get back the $17,000 and 4 years of my life poured into a blown 426 Dodge I built back in the early 80's. It was stolen one evening, and was found 6 days later in a Kaiser parking lot. It had been stripped and burned to the ground --as security guards watched, I might add. The insurance company payment barely covered the clean-up, towing and storage charges.

Unless you can prevent others from doing this to a nice, older restored vehicle that you are prepared to invest time and money into, I wouldn't do it. It would be wiser to sell, then purchase another that doesn't require any restorative work. Then guard it like a hawk! I'd rather be driving and enjoying a nice car, than working on it every weekend of my life.

-JD

________________________________________________________ | | | 1998 Laser Red GT RAMFM Member Since 1998 | | M-5400-A Suspension http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams || Subframe Connectors & Seat Bracing, Strut Tower Brace || 4-point K-frame Brace, Tremec T-45 & OEM 3.27:1 Gears ||________________________________________________________|

Reply to
JD Adams