check engine light

My check engine light came on. I disconnected the battery and the light went off. It even passed the state emissions test. As soon as I re-start
the car, the light comes back on and stays on till I disconnect the battery again. Any ideas as to what I need to look for to resolve??
On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 12:32:10 -0400, "Joe & Eileen"

If the CEL is yellow (not red), the most likely problem is a faulty seal on your gascap. Get another gas cap and see if that solves the problem.
Mine keeps coming on also and it shows up as a yellow check engine light. I had no idea it shows up in red for different problems. What does Red mean? I refuse to pay Toyota $40 to hook it up to the computer for that silly light anymore. AutoZone will check it for FREE.
wrote:<BR><BR>&gt;My check engine light came on.&nbsp; I disconnected the battery and the light <BR>&gt;went off.&nbsp; It even passed the state emissions test.&nbsp; As soon as I re-start <BR>&gt;the car, the light comes back on and stays on till I disconnect the battery <BR>&gt;again.&nbsp; Any ideas as to what I need to look for to resolve?? <BR>&gt;<BR><BR><BR>If the CEL is yellow (not red), the most likely problem is a faulty<BR>seal on your gascap.&nbsp; Get another gas cap and see if that solves the<BR>problem.</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

had no idea it shows up in red for different problems. What does Red mean? I refuse to pay Toyota $40 to hook it up to the computer for that silly light anymore. AutoZone will check it for FREE.
A red CEL indicates some type of severe engine damage, like a sudden loss of oil pressure. Usually when it's red, your engine is already totaled.
A yellow CEL is 99.9% emissions related. You may not pass an emissions check, but it's rarely, if ever, serious enough to pull over and stop driving the car.
I had to replace the cap about 3 mos ago and bought it "over-the-counter". So the cap is fairly new. No luck.
you wrote:

You can always take the car to Autozone (or other local parts stores) that offer free OBD reader service. I don't know if they only do OBD- II these days or not, but you can call and check.
Post the codes here and we can better help.