Smells...

Hey all... I've noticed this a few times, can anyone shed light on it?

The car is the 93 Cobra with a few mods, including shorties, no cats and a full exhaust. When I get the girl going, say, 80-90 mph, there is an odor that comes from the car when I bring it back down to earth. The car runs great, no mechanical problems, but I figure it's something in the exhaust - the odor goes away quickly - something like when you fire up new headers, they'll smell for a while. It's that kind of smell.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Thx.

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Karen

The car is the 93 Cobra with a few mods, including shorties, no cats and a full exhaust. When I get the girl going, say, 80-90 mph, there is an odor that comes from the car when I bring it back down to earth. The car runs great, no mechanical problems, but I figure it's something in the exhaust - the odor goes away quickly - something like when you fire up new headers, they'll smell for a while. It's that kind of smell.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Thx.

Brad

I was getting something like oil, and I found it, the supercharger was leaking a small amount of oil into the valley of the lower manifold, and it was evaporating when engine got hot.

Another one is when the heater core goes out, a small leak inside the box under the dash passenger side, check for green (antifreeze) inside and outside by the firewall and on ground. Smells for a while, smells like antifreeze.

If you dont have cats, the muffler could be getting too hot, put a stick on it and see if it smokes after driving. Saw some glowing bright red mufflers on a truck once, around dusk.

If you can smell it while driving at 80 mph, could be from engine through firewall at heater core, can plug up hole.

good luck, let us know what you find

93 5.0 8# KB tuned 87 5.0
Reply to
AshtarSheran

Good ideas. And thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, I'm going to put her away in a few weeks for the winter :( but I'll be looking for it before then. If I find it, I'll let you know. Thanks again.

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Karen