SOT: G8 GT Starts At $29.9K

Of course it is easier but it doesn't make the car look better than if it were a coupe. I really don't care if a passenger in MY car has to make a small effort to get in the back seat. If they don't like then they can drive their own car. IMO, coupes look better than four doors on some cars.

What does power accessories have to do with whether two doors look better than four doors? I want two doors for the styling and not just to inconvenience the rear seat passengers. If they don't like the rear seat access then they can call a cab.

C'mon? Feel free to think you're too old for a coupe. I prefer to act as I feel and I don't feel so old that I need four doors on my next car.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson wrote in news:JJKdnUvMl5HMp5HanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Michael, it's just a matter of time... ;)

Reply to
Joe

Michael Johnson wrote in news:rIWdna3CAPE4q5HanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

My, you two are a sporty couple. ;)

Just a passing thought, but perhaps those makers have chosen not to make a 2-door variant for the same reasons Ford has chosen not to bump up the horsepower for the Mustang GT. :p

Ah, _there's_ the rub. Both dwight and I have not quite ten years on you, and we have seen your future. :)

So how about a 4-door Corvette? Can you say 'Cadillac'? ;)

Reply to
Joe

Maybe more than the average couple but I'm much more sporty than her.

For some reason they haven't. My guess is they are trying to scale back on models to streamline costs. The foreign automakers are offering coupes. Here are a few examples: Toyota Solara; Infinity G; Honda Accord; Honda Civic; Nissan Altima; Volkswagen EOS; BMW 328; BMW 650; Mercedes 350/550/600 coupes; Volvo C30/C70; and Pontiac G6/G5 Coupes. IMO, it seems like there are many automakers that are doing well selling coupes.

That might be. Just don't try and drag me into the geriatric crowd just yet. Let me have my next ten years in ignorant bliss. ;)

Is this what you baby boomers are going to leave as your legacy? A four door Corvette? Is it too late to get Dr. Kevorkian back in service? :)

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Like I stated in my other post, let me have my next ten years in ignorant bliss.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Bob,

I believe a 6-speed manual is coming.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

The reason the domestic have given up on 2-door coupes are: Monte Carlo, 90s T-Bird, 90s Grand Prix, the old 70's Dodge Magnum, etc.

I argue they didn't get them right or keep them right.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

We had a '94 T-Bird with the 4.6L V-8 and I found it to be a very good car. The only downside to it was the weight it carried. Ford had the right formula in that it was RWD, independent rear suspension, a V-8, nice interior, good option list etc. Plus, the Super Coupes were very well well done in they had supercharged V-6s (some had crank issues though) and cockpit adjustable suspensions. Even though the car was heavy I found it handled well, had decent acceleration and got 28 mpg on the highway. Why Ford ditched it for a two seater is beyond me. They should have kept it as a four seat coupe and had the Mustang and it share a basic chassis and other components. IMO, Ford could really use a car like it in their current lineup.

There is obviously a market for coupes as there are too many offered by other automakers. It's just another instance where the Big Three doesn't get it from a marketing aspect.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Why would they put a car like that in showrooms and not immediately offer a manual transmission? How difficult can it be to shove a low tech manual transmission in place of an automatic? Just another half-assed new vehicle launch by our clueless Big Three automakers.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

It actually has more to do controlling emissions than anything else.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Michael Johnson wrote in news:jJWdncyuQKW9aJHanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Hmm. Republicans, eh? ;)

Absolutely! But some of those 4-doors are doing just as well if not better.

Hey, enjoy them while they last! By the same token, I'm not on Metamucil just yet...

Ooh - a low blow. We prefer to think of this mind set progression as 'maturity'. ;)

Reply to
Joe

Michael Johnson wrote in news:YdCdnRiDW_lhAZDanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

On the contrary. I'll bet marketing research indicates that the automatic would be the most popular by far. Simple economics take over from there.

Reply to
Joe

I'm much more of an independent than I was a year ago. The trouble is there are few people that independents can cast a vote for.

Four doors are the better sellers but there must be a market for coupes if so many are offered.

That's good to hear. I was getting worried about you.

Even suggesting a four door Corvette is crossing the line. ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson

I don't buy it. If Ford can put out a GT500 with 500 horsepower and a manual transmission, that passes emissions requirements, then GM can do the same with the G8. It is just laziness (or stupidity) from a marketing standpoint, IMO.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

I guess that kind of goes along with four doors? I'm not holding much hope for this car if the "Excitement" people can't deliver an exciting G8 coupe with a manual transmission. What's exciting about another four door with a slushbox in a sea of them? There's plenty of them with V-8s already on the market.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson wrote in news:suCdndQOKuqGsJPanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Doesn't bother me a bit. As a registered Independent, I really don't care one hoot about each party's nomination process. It's all foolishness anyway. My vote will count in the next presidential election.

OK, to put this to bed, let's say that both 2-door and 4-door power/muscle/whatever cars are all good. There's a market for both, and both are selling. The number of doors is simply personal preference.

Aw, you care. I'm touched! :)

But the 4-door Corvette is a reality right now! Do you think you could ever bring yourself to drive one? ;)

Reply to
Joe

Michael Johnson wrote in news:heGdndv9zfgbs5PanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

automatic

Exactly.

400hp is always nice, no matter how it's shifted or how many doors it has. Even auomatic Corvettes can be fun. ;)
Reply to
Joe

Michael Johnson wrote in news:suCdndcOKupYsJPanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I'd say it's conservatism from the bean counters' side.

There are not financial fun times for makers. I think they're going to keep costs as low as possible, so they've eliminated any extra-cost production items, such as a manual transmission - at least for now. Before they know how the car's going to sell, why incur any extra costs up front? Maybe (hopefully) after sales are determined to be good, a manual transmission will be offered.

Reply to
Joe

Local politics has turned me off to politics in general. Try developing a piece of land and running through the local political minefield. It will make you suicidal.

... and my preference is two doors in case you missed it. ;)

I was raised to respect and care about my elders. ;)

There no sedans that can run with a Z06. Let's get that straight right now!

Reply to
Michael Johnson

I go back to the Mustang again. Ford can make a Mustang with an automatic or a manual and sell it for well under $30k in GT trim and the low $20k range in the base model. It isn't a huge financial stretch to offer a manual. I would think that the one car Pontiac has that can truly be called a muscle/pony type car would be offered with a manual option. They offer manuals in the Solstice for under $20k. I just don't buy it being a bean counter issue. IMO, it is another marketing blunder by one of the Big Three. Unfortunately, it happens far too often.

Reply to
Michael Johnson